Sign in to follow this  

Another Jetting Problem

Ive jest finished installing my jd jet kit and extended fuel screw. I used

160 main jet

stock 22.5 pilot jet

blue needle in 4th clip

Fuel screw 2.75 turns out

and did the 3x3 mod

(all of the above was read on TT as per my altitude/ temp)

When I started it up at idle it wanted to bog out so i turned the idle screw to what sounded like normal idle.

i then smelled something burning and looked at the header and it was cherry red and was getting ridiculous backfire so i turned the bike off. I then started it again and fiddled with the idle screw and fuel screw until i got a good idle and no burning smell. but still have alot of popping on decel. What might be the problem and what could i do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ive jest finished installing my jd jet kit and extended fuel screw. I used

160 main jet

stock 22.5 pilot jet

blue needle in 4th clip

Fuel screw 2.75 turns out

and did the 3x3 mod

(all of the above was read on TT as per my altitude/ temp)

When I started it up at idle it wanted to bog out so i turned the idle screw to what sounded like normal idle.

i then smelled something burning and looked at the header and it was cherry red and was getting ridiculous backfire so i turned the bike off. I then started it again and fiddled with the idle screw and fuel screw until i got a good idle and no burning smell. but still have alot of popping on decel. What might be the problem and what could i do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

So how does it run when your riding it..? Don't include the popping on decel as a part of your assessment 

So how does it run when your riding it..? Don't include the popping on decel as a part of your assessment

it runs fine and i can definitely feel more power and more crisp response but cant help but feel i am hurting the bike but maybe thats just me... i do have a screw hole in the exhaust where the footpeg bolt should be. Could that be causing a leak thus popping?

it runs fine and i can definitely feel more power and more crisp response but cant help but feel i am hurting the bike but maybe thats just me... i do have a screw hole in the exhaust where the footpeg bolt should be. Could that be causing a leak thus popping?

Good...any be concerned what it's doing when your riding it...

Believe it or not some popping on decel is normal on a correctly tuned pilot circuit....

1)..Fine tune set the fuel screw via the procedure in the FAQ's, ..2)...then when it's set where you think it should be,,,turn the FS out another 1/8th to 1/4 turn if the popping is annoying you..

Anywhere you have air entering the exhaust a back fire will be the result ....

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Good...any be concerned what it's doing when your riding it...

Believe it or not some popping on decel is normal on a correctly tuned pilot circuit....

1)..Fine tune set the fuel screw via the procedure in the FAQ's, ..2)...then when it's set where you think it should be,,,turn the FS out another 1/8th to 1/4 turn if the popping is annoying you..

Anywhere you have air entering the exhaust a back fire will be the result ....

just to be 100% clear( bc im a noob) 1 full turn is indicate by the flat part of the screw returning to the position it restarted right?

just to be 100% clear( bc im a noob) 1 full turn is indicate by the flat part of the screw returning to the position it restarted right?

Yes mate...... like if you were standing and do 1 Full rotation you be facing the same way as where you started....Yes.?....just like this smiley.. :goofy: ...... ;)

Yes mate...... like if you were standing and do 1 Full rotation you be facing the same way as where you started....Yes.?....just like this smiley.. :goofy: ...... ;)

thanks, will do. hope i can get it down right today.

Yes mate...... like if you were standing and do 1 Full rotation you be facing the same way as where you started....Yes.?....just like this smiley.. :goofy: ...... ;)

I kept messing with the screw and just could not get it right. It just kept popping more and more like a roll of firecrackers on decel. So I re-watched the install video and realize i did not take the spring and washer off the old screw and put it on the new screw. Could this be my problem?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399755060.042027.jpgThis bolt was not in there and there was a ton of popping. No popping now! :) I might just cut the Res o the bolt off as I have no use for it. Unless anyone knows of a place that sell something specially to plug this hole.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399755060.042027.jpgThis bolt was not in there and there was a ton of popping. No popping now! :) I might just cut the Res o the bolt off as I have no use for it. Unless anyone knows of a place that sell something specially to plug this hole.

That bolt shouldn't protrude into the pipe, if it does, someone has used too long a bolt and pierced the pipe...

It is a mount for the exhaust and should be secured...

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/BuddyPegBlockOff.html

P1010337.jpg

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

That bolt shouldn't protrude into the pipe, if it does, someone has used too long a bolt and pierced the pipe...

It is a mount for the exhaust and should be secured...

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/BuddyPegBlockOff.html

P1010337.jpg

Thanks, will try to get that soon. Everything from my rejet/3x3/pipe install went well except for one Thing. When I start the bike cold i can smell something burning for the first 30 seconds then it goes away. I cant remember if It was like that before i did these mods. Is that normal?...or am I just over thinking things?

Thanks, will try to get that soon. Everything from my rejet/3x3/pipe install went well except for one Thing. When I start the bike cold i can smell something burning for the first 30 seconds then it goes away. I cant remember if It was like that before i did these mods. Is that normal?...or am I just over thinking things?

Not to sure on that one.......Possibly some new pipe burning smell....

Not to sure on that one.......Possibly some new pipe burning smell....

New to me pipe... I took it off my dads 400s an gave him my stock exhaust. It only does it sometimes though.Guess ill ride it for awhile and see if anything happens. Thanks for all the replies btw! So helpful especially for a noob like me.

New to me pipe... I took it off my dads 400s an gave him my stock exhaust. It only does it sometimes though.Guess ill ride it for awhile and see if anything happens. Thanks for all the replies btw! So helpful especially for a noob like me.

Mate....It's all a part of the 5 Star service found exclusively here on the TT DRZ400 forum... :lol:

Don't worry we were all noobish at one stage in our life... :)