Sign in to follow this  

kx65 athens 82cc big bore

anybody out there already have this installed in their kx?  I just got done putting hot rods crank/rod, all new bearings and seals, Athens 82cc big bore, added a tooth on the rear, fmf pipe and silencer......thinks that's it right now......I know that's a lot to do all at once but since it was crank time I decided to upgrade.   If anyone has similar mods I would like to know if you just rejetted the 65 carb or if you went with kx85 carb.  My reed box is still pretty new so im not changing it right now.  I will have the frame back Tuesday since I dropped it off to be powdercoated kawi green.  all new swingarm and link bearings and seals too.  Athens suggests 96 ocane or better for this setup so i'll have to get some race gas now lol......also, did the stock box work well for you?

thanks in advance

steve

Big job. What year is it?? 

As far as your jetting.........Have a look at JD jetting. 

Jetting is different for most KX 85 years and models. You might have to do some investigation. 

thanks for the link on the jetting.  the frame is an 03 but everything else is later model.  I should have It put back together Tuesday so i'll post any changes I have to make to it to get it running to its full potential.  It wasn't hurt in stock trim but he's tied for 2nd right now for the season and he's the only one in the top five that doesn't have a modded bike in the open class.

Sounds like you have resources from others as to how they have dones theres. Can you talk to the others as to what jetting they have used?

I am running the same setup in my ATV for my 11 yr old to race MX.

we went with a custom boyssen reed cage with custom reeds to handle the larger flow. this thing hauls!!!!! but on the straights since we are 9int he 90cc open (biggest is 96cc limit) we are a little under powered for long straights. so I am looing at a stoker crank setup for this engine. after 4 races, 7 practice days (1 for each race and some extra in the middle) this has held up really well and been totally awesome! with the extra ATV weight, we are going to have to upgrade the clutch basket due to wear. (sponsored by wiseco so that helps)