Sign in to follow this  

Going to the track tomorrow for the first time!

Going to the track. First time ever. It's probably going to be muddy. Any suggestions, tips or a check list?

Take it easy. Roll all the jumps and get a feel for the track before you decide to jump them. Dont fall into peer pressure and do something stupid and hurt yourself.  I had rotator cuff surgrey this morning as a result of a bad crash and it SUCKS.  But above all, just go out and have a blast.  My first time on a track was an arenacross race and that was an awful idea haha.  I did take first place in beginner class but the whoops almost killed me and it was not very fun.  Now that i have gotten pretty good at racing, it is the funnest activity i can think of.

• Like 2

Take it easy. Roll all the jumps and get a feel for the track before you decide to jump them. Dont fall into peer pressure and do something stupid and hurt yourself. I had rotator cuff surgrey this morning as a result of a bad crash and it SUCKS. But above all, just go out and have a blast. My first time on a track was an arenacross race and that was an awful idea haha. I did take first place in beginner class but the whoops almost killed me and it was not very fun. Now that i have gotten pretty good at racing, it is the funnest activity i can think of.

I sucked so badly at the track. Not only was I not used to mx boots even though they didn't hurt this time around, I also had my shifter up too far and it was muddy. I ate muddy dirt a few times and bogged out cuz I couldn't shift down. I have to say though I did good on the whoops. Idk how I did it but felt natural and lofted the front. I got some air on one jump and some on a big table top. I couldn't master the turns going uphill either which was most of my wash outs. Also had trouble starting the bike for some reason when I got there. But I still had fun. I also unfortunately had my clutch too high as well. Do you clutch and brake at the same time going around a turn? I kept giving gas when pushing in the brake so when I got home i adjusted the everything but what is strange is my bikes brake lever don't feel right being up and parallel to the handle bars. So I adjusted it to be down so when the throttle goes up my brake is right at the tip of my fingers and know 2ts have a lot of wheel spin so idk if I should drop the clutch on those turns. Any advice?

http://www.motosport.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-your-first-time-at-the-motocross-track

Probably the most important think is holding your line. Your first instinct when you hear a fast rider coming up behind you is to move to the side to let him by, but he might have already moved to pass you on that side and it doesn't end well. Just stay where you are on the track and they will get around you. Also take a sight lap and completely role every jump because you never know whats on the other side of the takeoff. Go out there and ride in your limitations and you'll have a blast!

• Like 2

Power the turns, rail the berms on uphill turns.

Momentum, momentum.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-your-first-time-at-the-motocross-track

Probably the most important think is holding your line. Your first instinct when you hear a fast rider coming up behind you is to move to the side to let him by, but he might have already moved to pass you on that side and it doesn't end well. Just stay where you are on the track and they will get around you. Also take a sight lap and completely role every jump because you never know whats on the other side of the takeoff. Go out there and ride in your limitations and you'll have a blast!

I had no issues with other riders I paid no attention to them unless I was rolling the big table top to make sure I didn't get landed on. I also couldn't hear the cute 4ts less I wasn't on the throttle lol. Ridingslikecrack what foot peg do you put weight on going around a turn? The outside peg right? With inside foot out? And do you shift your body weight forward on the seat or back?

Just run your own pace, don't ride over your head.

Hydration is very important.

You can't be too anal when prepping your bike. That one bolt that you ignore is the one that will fall out and end your day.

Run tear-offs or roll-offs, or both. Tossing your goggles because they got too muddy IS NOT an option unless you like risking losing an eyeball to roost.

Ride your own pace. Race the course, not the other bikes. Trying to run with riders that are beyond your skill level will get you hurt.

Watch faster riders, that's how you learn.

When being overtaken by a faster rider, don't try to move over and let him by, maintain your line. If he is a better rider, he will get around you, and by maintaining your line, you make yourself predictable, so it's safer for everyone.

• Like 1

Just run your own pace, don't ride over your head.

Hydration is very important.

You can't be too anal when prepping your bike. That one bolt that you ignore is the one that will fall out and end your day.

Run tear-offs or roll-offs, or both. Tossing your goggles because they got too muddy IS NOT an option unless you like risking losing an eyeball to roost.

Ride your own pace. Race the course, not the other bikes. Trying to run with riders that are beyond your skill level will get you hurt.

Watch faster riders, that's how you learn.

When being overtaken by a faster rider, don't try to move over and let him by, maintain your line. If he is a better rider, he will get around you, and by maintaining your line, you make yourself predictable, so it's safer for everyone.

I was too chicken shit to try and get too much air. I found one jump that I felt comfortable clearing and whoops were extremely fun. I just need to relearn all of my fundamentals again since it feels like it all went out the window with wearing mx boots for the first few times ever. I was thinking about just wearing my army boots since that is what I usually ride in.

I had no issues with other riders I paid no attention to them unless I was rolling the big table top to make sure I didn't get landed on. I also couldn't hear the cute 4ts less I wasn't on the throttle lol. Ridingslikecrack what foot peg do you put weight on going around a turn? The outside peg right? With inside foot out? And do you shift your body weight forward on the seat or back?

You weight the outside peg, and use the peg as a fulcrum to force your outside leg against the tank.

Shifting body weight depends on what you're doing. As a general rule you'll slide forward coming into a turn to put weight on the front wheel, and slide back when exiting the turn to balance the bike and weight the rear wheel for traction. 

I was too chicken shit to try and get too much air. I found one jump that I felt comfortable clearing and whoops were extremely fun. I just need to relearn all of my fundamentals again since it feels like it all went out the window with wearing mx boots for the first few times ever. I was thinking about just wearing my army boots since that is what I usually ride in.

You really need to get used to the MX boots. It doesn't take long once they break in, and once you're used to them you'll feel naked riding without them.

Your army boots are way too flexible, they won't protect your ankle at all in a crash, or give you the support you need to be able to apply the necessary force to the bike through your legs to control it.

You really need to get used to the MX boots. It doesn't take long once they break in, and once you're used to them you'll feel naked riding without them.

Your army boots are way too flexible, they won't protect your ankle at all in a crash, or give you the support you need to be able to apply the necessary force to the bike through your legs to control it.

You weight the outside peg, and use the peg as a fulcrum to force your outside leg against the tank.

Shifting body weight depends on what you're doing. As a general rule you'll slide forward coming into a turn to put weight on the front wheel, and slide back when exiting the turn to balance the bike and weight the rear wheel for traction.

thanks for the advice Chokey. Once I did get home I did keep the boots on all day. They no longer hurt but they do feel stiff still. Idk if you're supposed to lift your entire leg up to shift down when you're sitting up on the seat but it looks that way cuz my boot won't bend that far up. They are forma predators and are dual hinged. If that means anything.

thanks for the advice Chokey. Once I did get home I did keep the boots on all day. They no longer hurt but they do feel stiff still. Idk if you're supposed to lift your entire leg up to shift down when you're sitting up on the seat but it looks that way cuz my boot won't bend that far up. They are forma predators and are dual hinged. If that means anything.

The boots will loosen up a little, and you'll get used to shifting with them on. And yes, depending on how you're sitting, sometimes you might actually have to move your foot a little to shift.

If you're having a hard time with upshifts you might need to experiment with shift lever position. Try moving it down one notch on the shaft and see if that helps.

Edited by Chokey

The boots will loosen up a little, and you'll get used to shifting with them on. And yes, depending on how you're sitting, sometimes you might actually have to move your foot a little to shift.

If you're having a hard time with upshifts you might need to experiment with shift lever position. Try moving it down one notch on the shaft and see if that helps.

I messed with it all day when I got home. The best position I could find was just parallel to the pegs (stock position). I really couldn't find a happy medium. Because as I said if I'm up on the gas tank sitting down I can't shift down because my feet are naturally pointed down because of the position and my feet aren't getting anymore flexible to go up. That's why I wondered if I should just lift my whole leg up to down shift when I'm in that position? I have read where your supposed to sit to squeeze the bike with your knees which is way up on the seat unless I misunderstood it ass backwards. Edited by chadster54321

Practice, Practice, Practice. Take your time, it's easier said than done but I wish I'd done that. Laying in bed when I'd much rather be riding because I cased a tripple and damaged my Knee/LCL. Grip the bike with your knees and stay looking ahead through ruts while rolling the power on smoothly.

• Like 1

Practice, Practice, Practice. Take your time, it's easier said than done but I wish I'd done that. Laying in bed when I'd much rather be riding because I cased a tripple and damaged my Knee/LCL. Grip the bike with your knees and stay looking ahead through ruts while rolling the power on smoothly.

I know practice makes perfect. But you can't get good if you think your doing something right but in reality your dead wrong.

I messed with it all day when I got home. The best position I could find was just parallel to the pegs (stock position). I really couldn't find a happy medium. Because as I said if I'm up on the gas tank sitting down I can't shift down because my feet are naturally pointed down because of the position and my feet aren't getting anymore flexible to go up. That's why I wondered if I should just lift my whole leg up to down shift when I'm in that position? I have read where your supposed to sit to squeeze the bike with your knees which is way up on the seat unless I misunderstood it ass backwards.

I often have to lift my foot to downshift. I also move my feet forwards and backwards on the pegs, depending on what I'm doing, so  may have to lift and move a foot to brake or shift at times.

Moving around is part of riding.

When I used to race, I always started in second, and sat as far forward with my legs far forward of the pegs as I could to keep the front end down. But this made the upshift to third very difficult, so I developed the habit of using my heel to upshift to third as I was bringing my feet back towards the pegs. It worked very well once I practiced it enough to do it smoothly.

• Like 1

I often have to lift my foot to downshift. I also move my feet forwards and backwards on the pegs, depending on what I'm doing, so may have to lift and move a foot to brake or shift at times.

Moving around is part of riding.

When I used to race, I always started in second, and sat as far forward with my legs far forward of the pegs as I could to keep the front end down. But this made the upshift to third very difficult, so I developed the habit of using my heel to upshift to third as I was bringing my feet back towards the pegs. It worked very well once I practiced it enough to do it smoothly.

thanks again for the advice Chokey. Yea I'll give it a try once I heal up. I feel like I was beaten everywhere on my body. Good workout tho.:D:p

I have read where your supposed to sit to squeeze the bike with your knees which is way up on the seat unless I misunderstood it ass backwards.

I missed this part. Yes, you grip the bike with your legs (not your knees, your entire leg). You plant your feet firmly on the pegs and use the grip of your boots on the pegs to allow you to squeeze your legs against the bike. That way you don't have to hold yourself forward with your arms, which makes it much easier to do things like steer, control the throttle and clutch, etc...

The grip you have with your legs is also much closer to the bike's center of gravity than the handlebars are, so it's easier to toss the bike around.

Obviously you can't always grip with your legs, since you're moving around, hanging legs out, etc...but it's a good habit to develop when you can.

Edited by Chokey