Sign in to follow this  

Mah 250x-A running thread

Ok, I'll start with a bit about myself.  I am a weekend warrior dual sport bike rider ( also own a Kawi Versys for commuting, gravel, etc).  I have been riding for many years, but just started with dual sporting heavy about 4 years ago.  Our weekend rides typically consist of 200ish miles of fast gravel, trail work, abandoned roads, and some pavement sections. 

I started with a KLR 250, which was a slow pig, but reliable as an anvil, I moved onto a WR250R, also a pig and reliable.  I finally decided that I wanted a lighter weight bike for more serious trail work, but still wanted to be able to be streetable for dual sporting.  My riding style is not extreme by any means, I am not the type to be on the limiter constantly.  However, I don't just putt along, I guess it could be said I ride at a brisk pace.

Last week, I picked up a 04 CRF 250x from a person who maintained it quite well and has a stable of red, so I felt good about his maintainance.  He just used it in his woods, and checked the valves every season, and told me they have always been in spec, I checked them immideatly after purchase and they are in spec.

As for the bike, it was already plated (cake in Ohio), and has a Pro Circuit Ti pipe with matching jets, Vapor dash, nice light kit, and some other odds and ends.  Everything is well done and top notch quality, so I feel good that it has been maintained well.  My first impressions riding it are that I absolutely love the way it rides.  I enjoy the power curve, the suspension is set up perfectly for my stlye of riding, and it just instantly clicked with me and didn't take any "getting used to".  On the road it feels good for a dirt bike, it currently is geared 14/53, which is way short, I also have a 47 tooth rear, which I hope to be a good combo.

My plan is to ride it, and keep up with oil and air filter changes, and keep tabs on the valves.  It seems like the 250X is either a love it or hate it bike, I'm hoping I love it.....

Fresh off the trailer:

IMG_20140506_150621_zps6986d4ab.jpg?t=13

after spending an hour pulling the wrap off...

IMG_20140506_161518_zps7ad9fdc4.jpg?t=13

Today I fitted it with a tusk front fender pack with tube and irons, acerbis rear fender tool pack, tusk bark busters, and a tank bag.  No photos of that goodness yet....

Ok, I'll start with a bit about myself.  I am a weekend warrior dual sport bike rider ( also own a Kawi Versys for commuting, gravel, etc).  I have been riding for many years, but just started with dual sporting heavy about 4 years ago.  Our weekend rides typically consist of 200ish miles of fast gravel, trail work, abandoned roads, and some pavement sections. 

I started with a KLR 250, which was a slow pig, but reliable as an anvil, I moved onto a WR250R, also a pig and reliable.  I finally decided that I wanted a lighter weight bike for more serious trail work, but still wanted to be able to be streetable for dual sporting.  My riding style is not extreme by any means, I am not the type to be on the limiter constantly.  However, I don't just putt along, I guess it could be said I ride at a brisk pace.

Last week, I picked up a 04 CRF 250x from a person who maintained it quite well and has a stable of red, so I felt good about his maintainance.  He just used it in his woods, and checked the valves every season, and told me they have always been in spec, I checked them immideatly after purchase and they are in spec.

As for the bike, it was already plated (cake in Ohio), and has a Pro Circuit Ti pipe with matching jets, Vapor dash, nice light kit, and some other odds and ends.  Everything is well done and top notch quality, so I feel good that it has been maintained well.  My first impressions riding it are that I absolutely love the way it rides.  I enjoy the power curve, the suspension is set up perfectly for my stlye of riding, and it just instantly clicked with me and didn't take any "getting used to".  On the road it feels good for a dirt bike, it currently is geared 14/53, which is way short, I also have a 47 tooth rear, which I hope to be a good combo.

My plan is to ride it, and keep up with oil and air filter changes, and keep tabs on the valves.  It seems like the 250X is either a love it or hate it bike, I'm hoping I love it.....

Fresh off the trailer:

IMG_20140506_150621_zps6986d4ab.jpg?t=13

after spending an hour pulling the wrap off...

IMG_20140506_161518_zps7ad9fdc4.jpg?t=13

Today I fitted it with a tusk front fender pack with tube and irons, acerbis rear fender tool pack, tusk bark busters, and a tank bag.  No photos of that goodness yet....

Much nicer without the graphics and very clean.  I think you found a winner and will really enjoy it for your style.  Its just a damn good trail bike for either putting around witht he kids or ripping with the guys.

Much better without the graphics! I agree that 14/53 is too low even for trail use, I have found that 14/48 is good with a big bore (280cc) but you'll find 14/47  bit tall on the trail with stock displacement. Where are you located in Ohio?, there is a great DS ride coming that you may consider riding on June 22 called Flint Ridge. 

Much better without the graphics! I agree that 14/53 is too low even for trail use, I have found that 14/48 is good with a big bore (280cc) but you'll find 14/47  bit tall on the trail with stock displacement. Where are you located in Ohio?, there is a great DS ride coming that you may consider riding on June 22 called Flint Ridge. 

I considered going to a 45 in the rear, then swapping to a 13 on the front for trail work. 

I'm pretty muh right in the center of the state, about 25 min north of Columbus. I am familier with Flint Ridge, but I have bever ridden it, I may do it this year if I am free that weekend.

Edited by gonzo_matt

Since you have a 47 rear I'd use 14/47 for road riding then 13/47 for the dirt as 13/47 is very close to 14/51. I believe you'd find 14/45 too tall even for highway use.

Yesterday, I took my CRF on it's first woods and extended road excursion. Apparently the speedo in the vapor isn't even close to correct, I was able to cruise at a GPS indicated 60 mph (47 on the speedo) pretty easily with the 14/53 setup, but it's more comfortable at 50, so a gear change is still in order.The road manners are better than my WRR, I would assume thanks to the lighter weight. I did maybe 50-60 miles on the road, and the seat/ergonimics aren't bad, I might try a set of bar risers, but since I haven't ridden much since November, I'll say that I am surprisingly not sore. I will be ordering a bigger tank, I'm guessing the range at about 75 miles. The only other complaint I have is cam chain noise at certain throttle positions, when I pop the valve cover to check the valves

In the woods, this thing is an animal. I have a little single track (and a few sets of UTV trails) carved out in the woods on the family farm. I haven't been on it since late last fall, so there were some decent fresh obstacles (trees down, big branches) and it ate them up. The only real complaint I have is a slight hesitation followed by a gob of power, which can make it a bit unpredictable, but I chalk some of that up to the bike having 7 month old fuel in it (according to the PO). If I get a couple tanks of fuel through it and it's still there, I might play with the jetting some.

I'm happy with my purchase so far. It seems to be a good compromise between price, parts cost, performance and maintenance. I'm not going to eat up a KTM in the woods, but lets be honest, I don't have the skill to fully exploit a bike with more performance. I'll also probably be pissed when I am doing oil changes after every weekend ride and checking valves when the WRR's just need tossed in a corner until next week, but I'll take it for the 50-60 pounds less weight.

From a maintainance standpoint, the WRR kills it, 26k mile valve adjustments?  Get out of here.  A wr250r has the reliability of an anvil.  It also has the svelte body mass of one. 

I agree with the last paragraph except for one sentence!

I agreed with everything but the last paragraph. Hondas are so tough much better than a wr

I'm not going to eat up a KTM

I agree with the last paragraph except for the statement of inferiority!

Gonzo_Matt, I live in Worthington just North if I-270. Where do you live?  I've owned an '06 250X for a few years.  I'll taking it on a Dual Sport ride this weekend, the Hanging Rock 200.  My usual riding spot is the Long Ridge trails at Wayne National Forest.  Let me know if you'd like to join us sometime.  I wish we had trails like that right closer to home.

Gonzo_Matt, I live in Worthington just North if I-270. Where do you live?  I've owned an '06 250X for a few years.  I'll taking it on a Dual Sport ride this weekend, the Hanging Rock 200.  My usual riding spot is the Long Ridge trails at Wayne National Forest.  Let me know if you'd like to join us sometime.  I wish we had trails like that right closer to home.

I'm just a little ways north of you, I'm kinda in between 71 and Mt Vernon.  Riding Perry this coming week, if you are plated, I have a lot of good loops that are gravel with some light/moderate off road, about an hour north east of you.

ook...It's taken me a bit to update this.  I added a small tank bag, an Acerbis rear fender bag, and tusk front fender pack for tube/irons.  I typically pack stuff to change tubes, and a small tool kit, as well as some jumper wires, a small air compressor/etc, and it all packs well in those.  I switched the rear tire to a 100/100 Trakmaster, and went to a 47t rear sprocket.  We did a 120 mile gravel, small paved, and light trail day last friday.  I was very happy with the set up, so this week we headed to Hatfield McCoy and hit rockhouse. 

Now, I am not a skilled rider by any means, but was able to hang with the better guys on WRR's, as well as a 450EXC.  THe only place I really had an issue was on a black (almost hardest) trail on a nasty, rocky ledged hill climb.  I had to stop because there was another rider in out group hung, and losing momentum really screwed me, I prob could have made it if I could have maintained speed.  I worked the bike hard, dropped it several times, and it always came back for more.  I'm amazed how easy it always starts, no mater how its been flopped around or how used up.  I changed the oil with around 10 hours on it, and it was pretty clean, and the filter looked good.  THe valves are still spot on. Still feeling good about my purchase, going to hit a more local state forest this week.  When I had the WRR, I liked riding, but didn't go way out of my way to do real trails, now I am itching for finding hill climbs and shredding them, and no water crossing or set of whoops is safe. 

Photo from the easy shake down ride, bridge was closed so we had to find a detour:

10169212_10152273554978267_2570290757313

Couple shots from Hatfield/McCoy, did the single track there:

mccoy2_zpsf3b4661e.jpg

mccoy_zps260eaf0e.jpg

I'm just a little ways north of you, I'm kinda in between 71 and Mt Vernon. 

Well that places you a very short distance from Flint Ridge, the dual sport  ride will be held there on 6-22, you need to be there , it is the best one day DS event anywhere!

Well that places you a very short distance from Flint Ridge, the dual sport  ride will be held there on 6-22, you need to be there , it is the best one day DS event anywhere!

Yup, I'm planning on riding it

Flint Ridge is a good one.  Unfortunately, I can't make that one.

We spent last weekend at a place up your way, Walhondinghills (link below).  It's a privately owned campground with a small trail system.

http://walhondinghillscampground.com/offroading.htm

A few of us are planning to ride one morning this weekend at Wayne NF (Long Ridge).  Probably Sunday morning.  Let me know if you are interested.

Flint Ridge is a good one.  Unfortunately, I can't make that one.

We spent last weekend at a place up your way, Walhondinghills (link below).  It's a privately owned campground with a small trail system.

http://walhondinghillscampground.com/offroading.htm

A few of us are planning to ride one morning this weekend at Wayne NF (Long Ridge).  Probably Sunday morning.  Let me know if you are interested.

I'm familer with Walhonding, the abandoned roads and renegade trail network nearby are pretty damn fun as well.

I don't think I'll have time to ride this weekend, thanks for the offer though.

Abandoned road?  Renegade trail?  I'm interested.  We ride some abandoned roads down near Long Ridge.  They're even shown on the Hocking county map as "non-maintained township roads".

These are still on the map, one even has a stop sign at the end.  Let me know when you want to ride them, it requires a plated bike as there are a lot of gravel roads connecting them.

THis is about 2-3 miles from the campground, 2 fridays ago.

lakebed_zps65d72f9d.jpg