Racetech gold valve differences

Hey all,

I have a 07 crf250r...the wife ordered me a bunch of suspension goodies for my birthday.

The last of which was racetech gold valves for the rear shock. She ordered part number smgv5003, but the company sent smgv 5001... Even said smgv 5003 on the invoice.

I called the shop about the mishap, and they were very unhelpful and told me that the 5001 will work fine.

I said that race techs site suggested the 5003 when you punch in my bike.

Anyways, I have to call them back on Monday "because no one there with authority to process the return was there..."

I put a call into racetech, but I burned up so much time on the phone trying to get the guy to authorize the exchange, racetech had closed for the day.

Aside from the part number, how much o a difference is there between the 5001 and the 5003, so when I call back on Monday an they continue to give me a hard time about the exchange, I'll have something intelligent to say about the specs?

Thanks!

Don't blame you to want the correct numbered part for the bike. If they are correct, my guess it has to do with a different shim assortment in the kit.

I am very happy with the Race Tech items in my bikes and happy with the Race Tech personnel at the shop. They are great when you do get a hold of them on the phone. Their shop is busy and they need to hire more personnel.

When you start doing the revalving and testing the bike and studying the chart, you will better understand where you want to go and changes you want to make. They gave me a code for the on line setting chart so I could get alternate settings to work with.

Good luck and have fun learning suspension tuning.

• TT Sponsor

Did you get this sorted out? I surely hope so and apologize for you getting the run around!  If you didn't or still need some help, shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com and I will personally make sure you get what you need!

• Like 1

Thanks Chris! I finally got a return shipping label, and return approval. Box went back yesterday. I will see how long it takes to get the correct part...

It's not that I don't trust this company...well I don't, so I may post up a pic of the gold valve when it gets here to make sure it's the right one and not just the old one in a new box.

These people have sucked to deal with. Run aroun each time I call them, from "your order and info are not in our system..." The manager works opening shift and he's gone for the day, or the manager works te closing shift and won't be here until 1 pm... We are emailing you the shipping form right now (only for a day to pass and for me to call back the next day an get the same run around)

Thanks Chris! I finally got a return shipping label, and return approval. Box went back yesterday. I will see how long it takes to get the correct part...

It's not that I don't trust this company...well I don't, so I may post up a pic of the gold valve when it gets here to make sure it's the right one and not just the old one in a new box.

These people have sucked to deal with. Run aroun each time I call them, from "your order and info are not in our system..." The manager works opening shift and he's gone for the day, or the manager works te closing shift and won't be here until 1 pm... We are emailing you the shipping form right now (only for a day to pass and for me to call back the next day an get the same run around)

I had a very similar experience, it took multiple emails and phone calls to get a basic mistake on their end corrected 2 months later. I would never do business with them again.

And just in case my posts were not clear, The wife ordered from a racetech dealer, not racetech themselves...

I was just trying to get ahold of racetech to find out what the differences were between the two parts because the dealer kept on insisting that I just use the part they sent and not the part I ordered.

Thank you Chris for the note above, I shot you an email with the name of the dealer we are fighting with. I didnt want to blast them here in case it makes things even worse.

• TT Sponsor

Charles,

I got your email.  I thought you were struggling with Race Tech's HQ reading the initial post, but now understand it's a dealer but you wanted to check with RT to make sure you get the right part.  I will see if I can find out either a measurement or visual difference between the two parts so you can rest easy that you have the right one.

I will also shoot you some additional info via email.

Thank you and good luck!

• TT Sponsor

Looks like there is quite a bit of difference!

Here is from one of our techs. 

The compression ports... there will be 6 ports on the 5003 and 3 ports on the 5001. The 5003 uses a 44mm shim for compression and 40mm shim for rebound. The 5001 uses a 40mm shim for compression and a 34mm for rebound."