Sign in to follow this  

New crank problem. Please help if your experienced

Guys I need help! Ok we got the main bearings in. Froze them ad torched the case part. We than got the seals replaced and the tranny set in. Case gasket on and all dow pins for lineup ready. We put the cases together. We wiggled and jiggled and they slid together and lined up. We got the cases pretty dam close together. Put bolts in and did a star pattern aroud the whole case. Transmission we good. Everything spun without and grinding and I could kinda shift it I suppose into neutral and back into gear I'm pretty sure. Well I start to tighten down the care bolts. I got them all medium-hard tighten ad the crank won't spin. I loosen them up and it spins good. I know there's supposed to be SOME resistance with new crank but IT DIDNT BUDGE!!!! Help please and thank you and any advice if I did anything wrong according to details I added. Oh we also oiled the bearings up and stuff. Lubrication was all done. This is for a ktm150sx

Guys I need help! Ok we got the main bearings in. Froze them ad torched the case part. We than got the seals replaced and the tranny set in. Case gasket on and all dow pins for lineup ready. We put the cases together. We wiggled and jiggled and they slid together and lined up. We got the cases pretty dam close together. Put bolts in and did a star pattern aroud the whole case. Transmission we good. Everything spun without and grinding and I could kinda shift it I suppose into neutral and back into gear I'm pretty sure. Well I start to tighten down the care bolts. I got them all medium-hard tighten ad the crank won't spin. I loosen them up and it spins good. I know there's supposed to be SOME resistance with new crank but IT DIDNT BUDGE!!!! Help please and thank you and any advice if I did anything wrong according to details I added. Oh we also oiled the bearings up and stuff. Lubrication was all done. This is for a ktm150sx

You have it back apart? Sounds like one of the bearings aren't seated into the case good causing drag. Shoot some pics. 

In bed now... What you said is what we think. I'm picking EVERYONES brains for any other possible problem besides the bearings. I'll do it tmrw tho

• Like 1

In bed now... What you said is what we think. I'm picking EVERYONES brains for any other possible problem besides the bearings. I'll do it tmrw tho

Sure hope they sent you the correct crank , well sleep tight  :smirk: 

not sure what "care" bolts are but this is where you need a joiner, you are crushing your crank and mains with the case halves. Without a joiner you cant pull the crank through against one half at a time like you are supposed to. this is not only way easier, but keeps your crank from being knocked out of balance as well as keeping the main bearings from withstanding a constant unnecessary outward load once it is assembled.

edit:  your KTM has a roller style bearing on one side that you are smashing in to the side of its race which is causing it to not turn  you NEED the right tools!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/17166/Tusk-Crank-Puller-Installer-Tool?term=crank%20puller

Edited by Wild Alaskan
  • Like 1

You're doing it right just don't force anything , Put the hammer away  :lol:  Look from the outside of the case and check that your bearings are pushed all the way against the case on both sides . 

I had the same issue. I hadn't pulled the crank through far enough into the left hand case. Borrowed a friends Tusk crank installer / puller, retightened the case bolts, and the crank moved smooth and almost effortlessly compared to before using the installer.

• Like 2

I can't get a installer right now. I understand tools are important but is there another way.

pvc pipe larger than seal cut to length washer for end of crank that is larger than  shaft and  pipe on both ends. Use crank nut to pull crank up snug.

• Like 1

pvc pipe larger than seal cut to length washer for end of crank that is larger than shaft and pipe on both ends. Use crank nut to pull crank up snug.

You wouldn't happen to know where a pic of that is

And the large metal cylinder piece tht goes inside the roller bearing is pressed on to te crank shaft cause It won't come off. The old crank had it pressed on and now the new crank as well. Idk if that matters but we were tryig to ge it back off the crank and back inside the roller bearing

leave that inner race on the crank on install it will slide in the roller bearing just fine.you may damage it trying to take it off! The pvc idea was good basically you need something to pull the crank though the ball bearing  side you can get creative but dont hammer on the other side of the crank to try and force it though. 

with the pvs pipe and washer make the pipe a little longer than the protruding crank but short enough you can catch some threads with the bolt or nut, tighten it so it pulls the crank though the case. if you run out of threads put more washers on top the pvc, if you need you can also use a longer section of pvc and do it in a couple stages.

Edited by Wild Alaskan
  • Like 1

I got it and understand:) pickupene in my brann but what about the torque specs on all the bolts. Where do i find that stuff

Usually service manuals are a good place to start with any bike maintence.

Why use any pullers...... Just warm the bearing inners and it'll all just slide together without force. That is a much better option imo

• Like 1

Why use any pullers...... Just warm the bearing inners and it'll all just slide together without force. That is a much better option imo

How i do it, i can't bring myself to spend 70 bucks on a puller , sure i may need one someday but these guys got a good idea about making one  :thumbsup:

I heated up the inner case to expand and froze the bearings to contract or make smaller. So they'd fit. Didn't help much. Sooooo already tried

That happened to me doing the crank on a 200 and it turned out I pushed the main seal in too far. Should have been flush with the case.