Sign in to follow this  

'99 380 mxc

A friend of mine needs to sell his 380 mxc, it's in good condition, his family knows how to maintain bikes, but I don't know very much about ktms, or their worth, he's asking $1,200 and swears that's a good deal. I'm interested because I know it was taken care of but is a 1999 mxc worth 1,200? Thanks.

That is a good deal.  Those are great bikes!! I love mine, and paid about double that.  I paid that much because it had quite a few extras also.  Ask about the jetting, and if he has any notes on what he ran for different area's.  These are well known for being difficult to get running just right, but when they are running good, wow!!

That is a good deal. Those are great bikes!! I love mine, and paid about double that. I paid that much because it had quite a few extras also. Ask about the jetting, and if he has any notes on what he ran for different area's. These are well known for being difficult to get running just right, but when they are running good, wow!!

What is it about the bike that you love so much? Please elaborate.

My bike had been updated to mostly 07 stuff.  Sub-frame, graphics, upgraded triple clamps, over sized bars, dicks racing suspension front and rear.  I love the reliability of this bike, top and bottoms last a very long time on these. and do anything I want it to...real good.  I can ride slow and easy with beginners, or open it up and scare myself.  This works great for me, my wife and kid are beginners, but when I go out with friends or my dad I need to be on top of my game, cause those guys can ride!  Big bore power to grunt and pull me out of mistakes like a four stroke, and then a quick flick of the clutch and goose of the gas, and it is revving like a two stroke big bore again!!  Hills, no problem, 5 mph technical, no problem, 5 mph down a gravel road, boring, but still never a hick up like its going to foul a plug, open fire road, better be a big four stroke to pull on me until about 70, (which isn't much for many four strokes).  Jagermister graphics look cool, and warp 9 wheels, orange hub, and black rims are a nice touch also.  Pro circuit Gnarley hooked to a forestry approved spark arrester, some one left no stone unturned, and really cared for this bike.  That is why it is a great bike for me.  Someday I will have a similar CR500 in my garage, and those are not cheep yet either, but like my 380, you can't buy a new one.

A good friend of mine who rides cross country in the old man expert class raced his 99 380 until 04 and still pulls it out a few times a year to trail ride. He loves the bike and prior to this purchase 15 years ago never owned a bike older than 2 years. Sounds like a good deal and buying from a friend that knows how to take care of bikes only sweetens the deal.

Call Chip Munn and have it re-ported and the head done. Awesome bikes but very difficult to jet. They can make it a bit better with these mods.

I sold mine years ago and still regret it.

Call Chip Munn and have it re-ported and the head done. Awesome bikes but very difficult to jet. They can make it a bit better with these mods.

I sold mine years ago and still regret it.

Is jetting the only common problem these bikes have? Also, do you know how part availability is? I googled mxc parts but only really found sx & exc parts.. Are they interchangeable with mxc parts as long as its the right year & cc?

Is jetting the only common problem these bikes have? Also, do you know how part availability is? I googled mxc parts but only really found sx & exc parts.. Are they interchangeable with mxc parts as long as its the right year & cc?

Jetting is the only common issue. Parts aren't a real problem but the crank and cylinder are quite expensive. If you want a Rekluse the EXP will fit but it slips so bad it will destroy itself. The Pro is still available and works fine.

If the bike is in good condition I wouldn't worry about it. Very few can ride it to it's limits so most examples have engines in quite good condition. The grin factor alone when it's jetting and running properly is most assuredly worth it. :banana:

Sorry for all the questions but I gotta learn somehow, Thanks for all the advise everyone. it's much appreciated & very helpful.