CVK 40 Installed - First Ride

Just finished the install of the CVK 40 onto my '12 DRZ 400S.  My bike was relatively stock other than the 3X3 and jet kit.  I was concerned the gains of this mod would be negated by the stock exhaust and engine but I could not have been more wrong!  The bike fired right up and after adjusting idle (holy crap what  pain getting to that bolt) and fuel screw adjustment the bike just rips now.  Biggest gains seem just off idle to mid range.  It also seems to keep pulling hard in the upper RPMs where I used to feel that it crapped out before with the jetted mikuni stock carb.  The mod was much, much more noticeable than the gains I got from the 3X3 mod. .  I am now doing wheelies in 1st and 2nd with just the throttle which was impossible before this mod.  Probably not FCR gains, but huge for the small investment of $200!  Here's the mod I used:

-CVK40 off a 98 KLR 650

-Dynojet stage 2 kit (needle on fourth clip from top)

-OEM 152 MJ

-OEM 42 PJ

-Harley CVK extended fuel screw

-Cut throttle cable bracket upper part off, to only use the "lower cable mount" on the carb

-removed and discarded throttle return cable and switched the throttle cable to the return cable hole in the throttle tube.  This took out the extra slack in the throttle cable I had been struggling with    

-used stock carb boots and clamps using longer screws

-Stock vacuum hose and petock retained

-needed a 1" longer fuel hose

Right now waiting for my E header to show up which I hope will compliment this mod even more.  Thanks to 38 Super for the jetting help (jetting seems almost perfect so far) and Anthon Berg/Augustee/Royal/Signman606 for all the info on the mod!!!  I have a feeling gas mileage is now out the window along with front tire wear being a non issue from now on!        

• Like 8

Just finished the install of the CVK 40 onto my '12 DRZ 400S.  My bike was relatively stock other than the 3X3 and jet kit.  I was concerned the gains of this mod would be negated by the stock exhaust and engine but I could not have been more wrong!  The bike fired right up and after adjusting idle (holy crap what  pain getting to that bolt) and fuel screw adjustment the bike just rips now.  Biggest gains seem just off idle to mid range.  It also seems to keep pulling hard in the upper RPMs where I used to feel that it crapped out before with the jetted mikuni stock carb.  The mod was much, much more noticeable than the gains I got from the 3X3 mod. .  I am now doing wheelies in 1st and 2nd with just the throttle which was impossible before this mod.  Probably not FCR gains, but huge for the small investment of $200!  Here's the mod I used:

-CVK40 off a 98 KLR 650

-Dynojet stage 2 kit (needle on fourth clip from top)

-OEM 152 MJ

-OEM 42 PJ

-Harley CVK extended fuel screw

-Cut throttle cable bracket upper part off, to only use the "lower cable mount" on the carb

-removed and discarded throttle return cable and switched the throttle cable to the return cable hole in the throttle tube.  This took out the extra slack in the throttle cable I had been struggling with    

-used stock carb boots and clamps using longer screws

-Stock vacuum hose and petock retained

-needed a 1" longer fuel hose

Right now waiting for my E header to show up which I hope will compliment this mod even more.  Thanks to 38 Super for the jetting help (jetting seems almost perfect so far) and Anthon Berg/Augustee/Royal/Signman606 for all the info on the mod!!!  I have a feeling gas mileage is now out the window along with front tire wear being a non issue from now on!        

Yeh, gas mileage definitely goes down, but the laugh factor goes up.....all in all, a great trade imo. I ride in the woods, so I ended up getting a bigger tank (IMS 3.2) which now, more or less, compensates for what I lost mileage wise. The more you ride now with that new carb, the more small things you'll notice......the performance EVERYWHERE is superb over stock, and like you say, for only $200 I just don't think anyone can go wrong...... ?

• Like 5

Good job JM!!  E head pipe will help overall response.  You're set for some real sight seeing now. 

Some companies offer active Military Discount, take advantage.  Not like you're in the 6 figure salary range.

Next is the Hooligan Mod.

• Like 2

Sounds awesome. My carb came yesterday and for the price this carb is in excellent condition. A little cleaning and I will be ready for the install. Waiting on jets and choke. Great job Jonny

Please post a couple of pics when all is said and done......sure would like to see this adapted by others who want more giddyup without the high cost of an FCR  ?

• Like 2

Just took a few pics of the finished product.  Due to mother's day and the rain just now got a second ride on the bike (a beer run) and was surprised again with the performance. . way funner to ride now overall.  Noticed it revs out too quick now which has made me decide to change the 14/47 gearing back to 15/44.  I also think it might be running a little rich, but waiting for the e pipe install before I go through the PITA of pulling that carb out again!  38 Super, just looked up the Hooligan mod, looks cool, and will eventually try it, but right now my next mods will be getting the bike ready for offroad as I'm hoping to move to Utah within the next two months!!

20140512_193215.jpg

20140512_193251.jpg

20140512_193318.jpg

Edited by jonnymojo
  • Like 2

Beer run is better than bingo fuel.  14/47 is a great trail set up.  If you stop by Ogden ALC and you see a couple huge autoclaves for curing carbon fiber, they came from the B-2 plant in Pico Rivera. 

Rich on low mid or top end?

edit - Sumo is fun, don't get me wrong.  You're going to Utah, the off road heaven. Weather can change pretty quick in the hills.   Was stationed at Malmstrom, bugged out for a 4th of July ride in the hills.  Started snowing and I was not dressed for that.  Snow on bare skin is like tailgating a gravel truck

Edited by 38super
  • Like 1

Question to the cvk40 jediis: if my setup runs sweet right now at sea level and I needed to jet it for 4500'-10,000' what changes should I make to the jetting Currently 3x3 mod/152mj/42pj/dynojet fourth clip from top and stock exhaust. I want to turn the bike into an offroad monster now. .

I am relocating to hill afb utah in 30 days so sadly my poor Drz is spending its second consecutive summer in a shipping crate. Im getting all my cvk40 jollies in now while I can! It will be making its fifth and final oceanic crossing of its life!

• Like 1

Well, using the scientific wild ass guess procedure I'd guess a 140 to 145 MJ and keep the 40 PJ close by too.  Don't expect any miracles at Angels 10.  Keep us informed on this, adds to the data base.

Oh, prep the bike for salt air or all the shiney stuff will oxidize.

The e pipe arrived finally and just got it installed to my s muffler. Could not find any shops with a pipe expander in my area so ended up having to cut the header outlet down and used aluminum can strips as the gasket and clamped it down, , not the ideal solution but works well enough until I upgrade to the mrd. I can feel a very slight leak at the mid connection but not enough to worry about. Even got the heat shield to line up.

Performance from the pipe increased slightly. . Was less than the initial gains from the cvk itself but my butt sensor Can feel a difference revving out the bigger gears. Overall the bike is way funner now to ride now and I am looking forward to the next mods. I'm thinking about some hot cams next! Thanks guys for all your help and ideas!

• Like 1

The e pipe arrived finally and just got it installed to my s muffler. Could not find any shops with a pipe expander in my area so ended up having to cut the header outlet down and used aluminum can strips as the gasket and clamped it down, , not the ideal solution but works well enough until I upgrade to the mrd. I can feel a very slight leak at the mid connection but not enough to worry about. Even got the heat shield to line up.

Performance from the pipe increased slightly. . Was less than the initial gains from the cvk itself but my butt sensor Can feel a difference revving out the bigger gears. Overall the bike is way funner now to ride now and I am looking forward to the next mods. I'm thinking about some hot cams next! Thanks guys for all your help and ideas!

+1 to the cams, but let me say that a BB kit will increase your "butt sensor" ALOT!!! The increase in volume sucking and exhausting will give you that much more reason to hold on tighter.....?

having done it, I can speak with honesty.

• Like 4

I was very pleased with the Hot cams upgrade. You'll like. I went stage one 2048 - 2047.

• Like 3

+1 to the cams, but let me say that a BB kit will increase your "butt sensor" ALOT!!! The increase in volume sucking and exhausting will give you that much more reason to hold on tighter.....?

having done it, I can speak with honesty.

Definitely. BB kit makes a big diff! Very happy with that upgrade. If you can do the work yourself it would be the best. It cost me more to get my BB installed than the kit cost. ?  Love it tho!

• Like 1

Hey JM,

Try these guys for jets, very prompt, plain brown wrapper, usually fixed postage.  They have float bowl screws and diaphrams too.  Make the best of the postage, ordering one jet is a sign of deperation. 

Side note, have you swapped the slide adjuster from the BSR to the CVK?

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/kawasaki_650_KLR650.htm