CVK 40 Installed - First Ride

Just took a few pics of the finished product.  Due to mother's day and the rain just now got a second ride on the bike (a beer run) and was surprised again with the performance. . way funner to ride now overall.  Noticed it revs out too quick now which has made me decide to change the 14/47 gearing back to 15/44.  I also think it might be running a little rich, but waiting for the e pipe install before I go through the PITA of pulling that carb out again!  38 Super, just looked up the Hooligan mod, looks cool, and will eventually try it, but right now my next mods will be getting the bike ready for offroad as I'm hoping to move to Utah within the next two months!!

jesus you could fit a body in that topcase

• Like 1

jesus you could fit a body in that topcase

that pic makes it look huuuuge its actually not as ridiculous as it appears there. although I cant wait to take it off once im not relying on it for commuting. The bike will soon transform into offroad beast mode! Pics to follow
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Drz just came out if the crate after its journey from korea and im riding again. The gains from the cvk have been negated by bad jetting now im at 4000 feet. Havent got around to rejetting or visiting angels 10 yet haha. . I am going with super38s jetting recommendations but any ideas on needle adjustment? Bike is stock apart from an e pipe, 3x3 and the cvk40.

• Like 1

Had it out to the dunes and took it up a super steep hill clumb wot in 3rd absolute max power to the wheel . . Seemed to have a miss and loss of power at that moment. Also notice throttle response when i ram on the throttle at low to mid doesnt feel hard hitting as it did back at sea level

Had it out to the dunes and took it up a super steep hill clumb wot in 3rd absolute max power to the wheel . . Seemed to have a miss and loss of power at that moment. Also notice throttle response when i ram on the throttle at low to mid doesnt feel hard hitting as it did back at sea level

Less air pressure at altitude resulting in reduced throttle response..(vacuum carb)..also will be rich, if jetted correctly for sea level

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

It's been a while since I've been on here and not sure if much has changed in CVK mods over the past few years since I've been on here.  I've rode the hell out of the DRZ the last 4 years and haven't really done much in the way of mods or tinkering but that's about to change.  I'm back at sea level once again (UK) and getting ready to switch back to 152MJ, 42PJ, DJ needle on 4th clip which was flawless at sea level last time I ran that setup. 

I'm now planning on tearing the bike down to install the hot cams and MRD exhaust and do any necessary jetting while its apart.  My question is how these mods will affect jetting in the CVK?  I'm guessing this will force more air and make it run lean?  Also, someone suggested swapping the slide adjust from the BSR to the CVK?  Thanks again for all the help with my bike over the past few years!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to do this mod to my bike for years. I bought the cvk about 4 years ago. Can you guys refresh my memory other about the exact specifics to get the cvk on a S model with stock exhaust. I might put a e model head pipe in if it will really help and maybe e model cams as I have them laying around as well.

Oh yeah, I'm at sea level.

On 10 May 2014 at 4:57 PM, jonnymojo said:

I have a feeling gas mileage is now out the window along with front tire wear being a non issue from now on!        

The more wheelies you do,the more your front tyre knobs go wedge shaped .    It's addictive ,I live for this! ?Enjoy

20 hours ago, DualSportDad said:

I've been wanting to do this mod to my bike for years. I bought the cvk about 4 years ago. Can you guys refresh my memory other about the exact specifics to get the cvk on a S model with stock exhaust. I might put a e model head pipe in if it will really help and maybe e model cams as I have them laying around as well.

Oh yeah, I'm at sea level.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HNSB3DrqJqHTInjVDKKS4HNSHZPbdK0ElbfNI5HxuZg/edit#gid=2066692825

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hey guys, just reviving my old thread since it’s been another 5 years of running the CVK carb on the DRZ. The bike now has a MRD pipe running the spark arrestor insert and no other mods other than the 3x3 mod. Still running a 152MJ, 42MJ but needle clip is now on the 3rd clip. Bike is running lean at 1800 feet elevation so considering making some changes soon. Been running the CVK now for 9 years and still would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking for an alternative to the high priced fcr 39. Anyone know the status of the jetting database? Looks like it’s defunct these days and no sign of Super 38? 

19 minutes ago, jonnymojo said:

Bumtarder, I’ve seen those advertised but wasn’t sure about the true gains and reliability. Have u tried one yet? 

No, but Tony Wyp and 2LZ and a few others have and they've had good success with them after jetting them to work right.

Edited by bumtarder