Sign in to follow this  

ktm

im currently riding a 2009 crf230f and i need a new bike i want a exc200 but im not sure if it would be to powerfull of a step up should i just go to a crf250r im keen on a smoker tho 

Go for the 200 :thumbsup:  I'm not sure what you riding style is, or if you race, etc...  But I can only assume you're looking for a trail machine... The 200 is known for 125 like handling with close to 250 2T power...  It has lots of power yes, but not too much.   I would take a 200xc-w 1000 times over before ANY 250f.  In fact, I LOVE my 300xc-w but would very seriously consider the 200 for my next bike...

• Like 1

Go for the 200 :thumbsup:  I'm not sure what you riding style is, or if you race, etc...  But I can only assume you're looking for a trail machine... The 200 is known for 125 like handling with close to 250 2T power...  It has lots of power yes, but not too much.   I would take a 200xc-w 1000 times over before ANY 250f.  In fact, I LOVE my 300xc-w but would very seriously consider the 200 for my next bike...

thanks for the info 

why would you go from a 300 to 200 tho?

thanks for the info 

why would you go from a 300 to 200 tho?

Handling mainly. As well as just a way to change things up. In the end I am sure I would settle on another 300, but the thought of a new 200 does excite me. The 300 has much more power than a guy really needs for most situations, but too much is way better than not enough....

• Like 1

Handling mainly. As well as just a way to change things up. In the end I am sure I would settle on another 300, but the thought of a new 200 does excite me. The 300 has much more power than a guy really needs for most situations, but too much is way better than not enough....

yes they say that they have great handling 

i can relate to not enough power with my 230 thats why i will be moving to a 200

im currently riding a 2009 crf230f and i need a new bike i want a exc200 but im not sure if it would be to powerfull of a step up should i just go to a crf250r im keen on a smoker tho 

A Crf250r, a small bore mx bike, made to hit hard and gather speed quickly on a track, is not slower or easier to ride than the tuned for tractability, enduro/offroad 200 exc.

iwant to get the 200 but dad thinks it will be to much power for me and thinks i should get a crf250r and then maybe a 200 how can i convince him to the 200?

iwant to get the 200 but dad thinks it will be to much power for me and thinks i should get a crf250r and then maybe a 200 how can i convince him to the 200?

You have to show him technical specs so that he can see that the 200 and 250f are not exactly night and day power difference.. Then as asb77 stated, the mx bike will feel "moto-ee", will have harsher handling characteristics, stiffer suspension, engine built to build power in the high revs, no lighting coil, harder clutch pull (ktm has a hydraulic clutch, soooo soft, one finger clutch pull), and the Crf will have a seat like a two by four....

Tell him you feel it's a safety issue for you to run an MX track bike in the woods. Tell him there are other things besides just power that make a bike harder to handle....

Also, money talks too, so tell him the 200 comes trail ready out of the crate, whereas the Crf will require handguards, a weighted flywheel, lighting coil and lights, softer enduro seat, etc...

Also the KTM two stroke has the option to easily detune just by quickly swapping out powervalve springs (which come with the bike). You can run the yellow or green spring until your dad is satisfied that you are used to the bike.....

The 200 is just SO much more appropriate for trail, enduro style riding.... No contest......and in the end, it's as easy to kill yourself on a 200, as it is on a 250f, or even the 230 for that matter.....ALL dirt bikes, as you know, require respect ;)

I don't know your dad, but that's what I would do...educate him on the facts....

Edited by Fattonz

You have to show him technical specs so that he can see that the 200 and 250f are not exactly night and day power difference.. Then as asb77 stated, the mx bike will feel "moto-ee", will have harsher handling characteristics, stiffer suspension, engine built to build power in the high revs, no lighting coil, harder clutch pull (ktm has a hydraulic clutch, soooo soft, one finger clutch pull), and the Crf will have a seat like a two by four....

Tell him you feel it's a safety issue for you to run an MX track bike in the woods. Tell him there are other things besides just power that make a bike harder to handle....

Also, money talks too, so tell him the 200 comes trail ready out of the crate, whereas the Crf will require handguards, a weighted flywheel, lighting coil and lights, softer enduro seat, etc...

Also the KTM two stroke has the option to easily detune just by quickly swapping out powervalve springs (which come with the bike). You can run the yellow or green spring until your dad is satisfied that you are used to the bike.....

The 200 is just SO much more appropriate for trail, enduro style riding.... No contest......and in the end, it's as easy to kill yourself on a 200, as it is on a 250f, or even the 230 for that matter.....ALL dirt bikes, as you know, require respect ;)

I don't know your dad, but that's what I would do...educate him on the facts..

I don't know your dad, but that's what I would do...educate him on the facts....

thanks man that will probably really help my situation, my main problem is that he thinks that the 200 is way more powerfull than the 250f im trying to tell him that its not tho 

thanks man that will probably really help my situation, my main problem is that he thinks that the 200 is way more powerfull than the 250f im trying to tell him that its not tho

Not sure of the accuracy of the following information....but it may help your case...

200 xc-w (hp is the red line)

150SX_CDI_test.jpg

Crf250f:

14_250mx-honda.jpg

Then there's the crf250x which is a trail ready machine....not up on the newer Hondas, but I think it's motor is a little more sleepy than the "f" model which is more of an MX machine....

Then there's the crf250x which is a trail ready machine....not up on the newer Hondas, but I think it's motor is a little more sleepy than the "f" model which is more of an MX machine....

thanks ill show him that stats i hop that will change his mind 

i would rather a crf250r than a 250x because there just so much lighter and faster 

I'm a big guy. My 300 is definitely the 1 bike to have, but if I could have 2 I would definitely go for the 200. Hell, even a 150. I have a 50 year old friend that smokes me on one of those

• Like 1