Sign in to follow this  

Future of 2 stroke

Not saying OSSA the company as the future, I'm saying trick direct injected two strokes are. That is some super trick engineering!! Give the guys at OSSA mad props. Beautiful bike, a piece of art.

Even if it was just a CAD drawing I'm impressed. Thinking out of the box, coming up with ideas to push the 2 stroke envelope, whether or not you can ride one or not right now doesn't matter...It shows progression in 2 stroke development, I'm a fan of all things engineering and design, it's a stellar design.

• Like 4

That Ossa looks much better than any next generation 2 stroke any other manufacturer has shown ( no one else has shown one.....). 

We keep hearing rumours for years now about various manufacturers that claim to have a DI 2 stroke waiting in the wings.  They are like sasquatch, no proof of existence LOL!! Actually we have more proof of sasquatch than we do DI 2 stroke enduro bikes!

• Like 4

Whoops I forgot, if its not orange it's irrelevant

Remember when Husky was concepting a 50 or 125cc DI two stroke? Well since KTM purchased Husky maybe team orange will be first to debut it? IDK or care too much. My VERY old school 2014 Cagiva WMX300 works fine.

You don't really know that it's better, sure it looks innovative, so did the cannondale mx400 (according to mxa). That really means nothing. I think a different engine layout doesn't change anything until it's been proven against the current bikes, and a company pouring r&d money into bikes like ktm vs a no name company is not really a comparison

Not saying OSSA the company as the future, I'm saying trick direct injected two strokes are. That is some super trick engineering!! Give the guys at OSSA mad props. Beautiful bike, a piece of art.

The OSSA is NOT Direct Injected. It uses a Kokusan downdraft throttle-body and case-reed induction.

That OSSA is a very cool design, and I would love to see it get built, but it still doesn't solve the emissions/fuel economy/erratic low-load running issues that a carbureted two-stroke suffers from.

This picture clearly shows the throttle-body and case-reed intake entering the engine.

ossa_008.jpg

This article very clearly explains OSSA's stated design goals with this cooncept.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/reverse-cylinder-efi-two-stroke-ossa-is-back-with-a-fuel-injected-272cc-reverse-cylinder-two-stroke-engine-its-not-ready-for-motocross-yet-but-it-is-a-cool-design

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

Isn't the Ossa explorer and the TR300 using the DI engine right now?

From there web site;

Capacity 294 cc

Type Two-stroke single cylinder inverted admission direct reed crankcase

Cooling system Liquid

Bore x Stroke 79x60 mm

Fuel Supply EFI Kokusan Batery-less System

Ignition Kokusan CDI digital magnetic flywheel

Clutch Hydraulic control

Gear box 6 speed Transmission Primary with gears, secondary with chain

Engine lubrication Mix 0.9% 100% synthetic oil

Gear and clutch lubrication 450 cc.

Extreme Gear type oil 75 W

Edited by 6 Riders

Isn't the Ossa explorer and the TR300 using the DI engine right now?

From there web site;

Capacity 294 cc

Type Two-stroke single cylinder inverted admission direct reed crankcase

Cooling system Liquid

Bore x Stroke 79x60 mm

Ignition Kokusan CDI digital magnetic flywheel

Clutch Hydraulic control

Gear box 6 speed Transmission Primary with gears, secondary with chain

Engine lubrication Mix 0.9% 100% synthetic oil

Gear and clutch lubrication 450 cc.

Extreme Gear type oil 75 W

Did you even read what you just posted?

direct reed crankcase

The specs clearly say, case reed induction, and Kokusan EFI, not DFI.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

You've never seen a design of a concept car and think it was cool apparently.

I appreciate the Star ship enterprise too but irritated at this whole bs bike that has been paraded around but not made. That's a mock up bike that isn't even real. Check out archives on this.. This has been brought out every few months and crap has come out of it. Do some googling and search TT threads on this and you'll see what I mean. Sure it's a cool design.. but a real design means squat at this point. I understand the company has some problems and is trying to get it together so maybe in the future... waaaaay in the future. Meanwhile I like real bikes that are actually made, sold and ridden..  I don't care  about models Right now we have some nice 2 strokes.. I'm looking forward to what comes next but happy with what's out there as far as the top 300cc 2t enduros.  What I'd like is a nice well made 400500-cc 2 stroke enduro or even mx bike..

• Like 1

I appreciate the Star ship enterprise too but irritated at this whole bs bike that has been paraded around but not made. That's a mock up bike that isn't even real. Check out archives on this.. This has been brought out every few months and crap has come out of it. Do some googling and search TT threads on this and you'll see what I mean. Sure it's a cool design.. but a real design means squat at this point. I understand the company has some problems and is trying to get it together so maybe in the future... waaaaay in the future. Meanwhile I like real bikes that are actually made, sold and ridden..  I don't care  about models Right now we have some nice 2 strokes.. I'm looking forward to what comes next but happy with what's out there as far as the top 300cc 2t enduros.  What I'd like is a nice well made 400500-cc 2 stroke enduro or even mx bike..

The basic engine design is in fact in use in the OSSA TR280i trials bike, including the EFI system.

ossa_002.jpg

The sad part about the Direct-Injection two-stroke dream is that, aside from lawn equipment, nearly all modern engines are now coming equipped with Direct Injection. Except, for some reason, motorcycles. All new cars are coming with DI as they are redesigned. Outboard engines. Snowmobiles. Even all two-strokes in those recreational classes are Direct Injected.

But not motorcycles... :banghead:

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 3

The basic engine design is in fact in use in the OSSA TR280i trials bike, including the EFI system.

ossa_002.jpg

The sad part about the Direct-Injection two-stroke dream is that, aside from lawn equipment, nearly all modern engines are now coming equipped with Direct Injection. Except, for some reason, motorcycles. All new cars are coming with DI as they are redesigned. Outboard engines. Snowmobiles. Even all two-strokes in those recreational classes are Direct Injected.

But not motorcycles... :banghead:

I'm perfectly happy with my carburetor.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly happy with my carburetor.

So am I. But I would also be happy with a Direct Injection system that eliminated the erratic idle and low-load running that two-strokes suffer from, and that meant I never had to rejet again.

And I would be VERY happy if a Direct Injection system meant a manufacturer came out with an all-new-from-the-ground-up completely modern two-stroke. KTM is doing a good job of keeping their two-strokes current, but they are only one manufacturer and can't meet demand.

That OSSA concept is a good example of how new technology can lead to out-of-the-box thinking that advances the sport.

20 years ago I was also perfectly happy with carbs on cars. Now, after a couple of decades of driving cars with EFI, giving them far better response and running manners than a carb ever did, I would NEVER go back to a car with a carb.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 2