Sign in to follow this  

SkidPlate for 230

I was looking at the offerings from CRFs only.  MSR and Flatland Racing are the two that offer engine protection.  Does anyone have any experience with either?  I ride woods.  Do I really need anything more than the stock plastic plate?  I mean is the added weight worth it?  Aside from fabricating one myself are there others out there that will fit the 230?

Thanks.

We've hit all kinds of things with our CRF150s and CRF230s and all the factory skid plates are still in tact.  I thought it was pretty weak when I first saw it and I thought it would be in the garbage by now but it has held up just fine.  I've cased my bike plenty of times, quite a few on purpose because I didn't have enough clearance to clear the rock(s) or tree in front of me.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

I have one from RICOCHET . it's aluminum and has ears to protect side cases . it is very rocky where I ride a co- worker had a rock kicked back on a steep hill from a bike in front of him put a hole in his engine.i like this plate but it does make the engine sound louder . I guess it depends where you ride.

I installed trimmed pieces of spare thick rubber car floor mat on my heavy-duty aluminum skid plate (including on the "side ears") to greatly deaden/reduce the upward-radiated sound from plate.  I installed the main center piece of floor mat between the skid plate and the bike frame.  I drilled three holes on each "side ear" of the plate and secured a piece of mat to the ears using black plastic license plate fasteners.  Might seem like too much work, but it helped save my hearing and improve my enjoyment of the ride, while keeping the skid plate---thus helping protect the engine case from rocks, whether they were stationary or flying up from somewhere.  Believe it or not, the finished product doesn't look too bad, either.

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1