Sign in to follow this  

Backfires at 1/8th throttle

Good day, my son just purchased a 2006 CRF450r. Got the bike home went for a ride, bike had a slight hesitation on acceleration, and popped a little on deceleration. Drained the gas "smelled bad" put fresh gas in and away he went "better" but still not quite right.

Removed carb to clean, I did remove the "throttle position sensor" from the carb??? should have read your forum first! anyway. cleaned carb and reinstalled. started bike and it backfires like craze and shoots flames out the exhaust!!!

ANY Ideas?

Clear the passage above the pilot using fishing line and compressed cleaner

Put in a NEW 45 pilot jet

Clean and lube the hot start plunger and inspect for cracks on cap

Put in a NEW oring on the fuel screw/ better yet, get an R&D fuel screw so it can be adjusted as needed

What this man said^

Forget any other after market fuel screw, they fall out or unscrew whenever and are a pain in the ass. The r&d fuel screw is the shii and makes life super easy. These bikes should have came with one to start with!

No it won't idle!

Sounds like you need to replace your pilot but really you need to do like koolaid said and just take your time, clean her out, replace a few parts and get her right... 45 pilot jet

Clear the passage above the pilot using fishing line and compressed cleaner

Put in a NEW 45 pilot jet

Clean and lube the hot start plunger and inspect for cracks on cap

Put in a NEW oring on the fuel screw/ better yet, get an R&D fuel screw so it can be adjusted as needed

OK, R&D fuel screw is ordered, I will pull the carb off today and clear the passage above the pilot jet and install new 45 pilot jet!

Will post results!

Thanks all