Sign in to follow this  

Little help needed

Bought a 05 450X and love the bike, always wanted one an finally got it. One thing is when riding through upper gears for extended periods of time (through large fields) upon slowing down I get a whining noise that sounds related to transmission. As I click down through gears the noise lessens but doesn't stop until I get into neutral. Bike will continue to ride great and never has any problems but didn't know if anyone has ever experienced this and may be able to offer guidance as to where to start.

First thing you MUST do and do it before you ride much more is check the transmission fluid level!  Better than that, go ahead and replace it, and when you do, put a full US quart in there.  I, as well as lots of others, run Honda "Red Bottle" HP trans fluid.  Again, if the fluid is low, you're at a very high risk for trans lockup.  There's a bearing in there that unless fully lubricated likes to seize... if it does, you'll be in for splitting the cases and rebuilding the trans. 

Correct!

The transmission was designed with no oil relief hole or bushing on third gear on the CS. They tend to seize up...sometimes even with proper oiling.

Honda made the changes in 2007 to address the issue.

Running a full quart helps to buy time, but yours is already starting to seize.

Time to split the cases and update the transmission.

Remember, when it seizes, it locks up the rear wheel at speed. This could be a life changing event...