Sign in to follow this  

Race engine questions

On my way to get a 2011 yz250 for a great price.

The guy wrote: "2011 Yamaha Yz250, has brand new 2012 motor in it, been rebuilt from top to bottom, little over an hour on it, two grand of suspension work done to it, FMF Gnarly pipe and power core silencer, brand new decals and plastics, black rims, aftermarket disc brakes, two layer renthal bars, new sprocket and gear, new chain guide and rubbers, gold chain, full blown race engine, this bike is the real deal, won't find a nicer two stroke out there"

I asked about the engine work, and asked if you have to run race gas: "Built professionally by watts perfections and yes it takes 110 straight".

I've had a yz250 that head work before and had to run half 110 and half 93 and it was annoying. What would I have to do to get the engine back to stock? Just buy a head and new piston? Here's a few pics :

89BE51A7-2929-4BBF-B188-298A5DA57ABB.jpg

D0DC7001-C08B-4714-B7D4-2F2875BBD720.jpg

We'll I got the bike. Now he says it has a big bore kit and that you can run 93, or 110. So I really have no clue what I bought. Lol

I guess he got the bike recently from one of his pro friends. So he said he'll try to get the engine paper work so I know what I got

Also, can someone tell me how to decode the vin for the year on a 2011? I thought the tenth year standed for the year, the tenth character is a 5, did I just buy a 2005? Lol

Someone will confirm this, but looking at the forks, best I can tell they look like the 2005 forks, not the SSS version that came out in 06.

I'll take some pics in an hour of the forks when I get home. They looked the same as my 2012 I had, maybe not though. Going to try to fix this, hopefully the seller works with me, I believe he honestly believed it was a 2011, which is the reason I didn't even give the vin thought when I was there. If he threw me $800 back it would make it right in my mind

My theory right now is that the last owner, his buddy did actually buy the bike new in 2011. Then some reason ( maybe broke the frame) he replaced it with the 2005 frame. But still considered it a 2011 since everything was 2011 instead of the frame.

Ok, got some pics.

The vin is: jyacg20c15a006871

The engine vin is: g111e-006912

B32FF40B-93F5-4F8D-8EBA-F82D6C8D1CD9.jpg

3440AADD-B3A0-411D-8DD8-2E6DD320C65A.jpg

Yup, that is 05 stuff. Very strange he knows so little about it. This screams "stolen" in my mind.

And "race engine" is pretty meaningless. Heck, a stock YZ is only for closed course racing, so it must have a race engine. Whether or not a head can fix it to run properly on pump depends on what all was changed.

What does the SSS suspension look like exactly? I feel like a blonde. I have owned atleast 6 yz250's that have been 2006 or newer....

Drove 4 hours (8 round trip) for this bike. Don't feel like going back. Hopefully he'll send some money.

On the plus side, it's a pretty nice 2005 lol

SSS forks have a dark gold next nut ring at the top of the forks, yours has the aluminum coloured ones which indicate 2005. That lines up with the fact that the rear shock uses a gold coloured high speed adjuster nut where the 06 and up used a blue anodized one. You've got an 05 bike.

Edited by YZerman

Is there any possibility that the suspension is 2011, and the the colored parts are aftermarket?

How do I verify the engine year?

I would have known right away it wasn't a 2011 if the brakes would have been stock. Cause I know the waved ones didn't come out till like 2008 or something

Is there any possibility that the suspension is 2011, and the the colored parts are aftermarket?

How do I verify the engine year?

Like yzerman said, No chance. The forks are structurely different in many ways, and the parts cannot be interchanged.