Sign in to follow this  

XR600R wide ratio

I've been following the XR650L 2nd & 5th gear mod thread and I'm a little uncertain about something.  To get the widest range of gears in the 600R,do I need the foreign N650 5th gear and 1'st gear (or the shaft that 1's gear runs on) from a 650L.  It appears to me that the 650L has a lower 1'st gear than the XR600R.  If this is true, do I need just the gear or the complete shaft?

The counter shaft and mainshafts are basically the same between the XR600R and the XRL (the XR600 countershaft is machined on the end to accept the kickstarter idler gear whereas the XRL is not) To do it right, you would need an XRL first gear (it is lower than your XRR), an NX650 second gear (also lower than yours) and an FMX 650 fifth gear (taller than yours). I ran my XRL with an XR600R first gear for a couple of years to close the 1-2 gap in the XRL gearbox. It worked, but first was always a tad too tall. I just rebuilt it over the winter with the XRL 1st, NX 2nd and FMX 5th. It does well.

IMG_06291_zps5027470c.jpg

Edited by ThumpNRed

DaveK18 wrote on another thread the following info, I'm trying to figure this all out:

"True the 600 does have  better spaced ratios than the 650L so fifth gear mod gives you a cruising gear.  However if you want an even lower first gear for rock crawling you can use an XR650L mainshaft, c/s first gear, NX second to make the complete mod and still have good spacing."

It appears as though the XRL mainshaft will be required along with the XRL 1'st gear for the countershaft.  The mainshaft on the XRR is 13T and the mainshaft on the XRL is 12.

You also need to use 600R primary gears for maximum wide ratio. If you use L or HRC primaries the difference won't be quite as noticeable.

oldmanrip, on 10 May 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:oldmanrip, on 10 May 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:

It appears as though the XRL mainshaft will be required along with the XRL 1'st gear for the countershaft.  The mainshaft on the XRR is 13T and the mainshaft on the XRL is 12.

Do you mean countershaft? The layshaft has exactly the same for L & R for the same year swaps. If you want to swap 1st in an early bike then you may have a problem. Gears are also different for them with different number of shift dogs et cetera. Probably best to swap in an entire late model trans.

Edited by valvesrule

I checked again for year model 2000.  The XR600R uses a 13T gear on the main shaft and a corresponding 31T gear on the counter shaft.  The XR650L uses 12T on the main shaft and 32T on the counter.  This means I need both the main shaft and first gear from the counter shaft from an XR650R to get the widesest range for my XR600R.

Most people doing this already have 650Ls so 1st isn't a concern. They're changing 2nd out because of the large gap between 1st & 2nd. 5th just sweetens the deal. For an R the mainshaft and corresponding 1st gear  on the countershaft would be required. I haven't studied the subject extensively because I prefer the normal 600R trans with 650L/HRC primaries (the closest ratio trans possible). More MX than woods or DS. They're 600cc+, there's always enough torque to my taste.