Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Not Working Post Bleed

I just replaced the brake fluid in my '07 CRF230F and now the caliper is not closing fully.  I can hear the pads drag against the rotor slightly, but nowhere near enough to stop the wheel even when free spinning on a stand.  I followed the bleeding procedure in the manual and no bubbles are coming out of the bleeder screw so I'm not sure what the deal is.  When I pull the brake lever and open the bleeder screw, nice clean fluid rushes out with no bubbles.  Could there be air trapped inside the caliper?  What's the best way to get it out?  Just keep bleeding and bleeding?  I've refilled the master cylinder at least 4 or 5 times after there were no more bubbles.  FYI, I drained all the old fluid first (without replenishing the master cylinder) then poured in new fluid and bled the system.  I'm sure I sucked a good amount of air back into the system when I drained the old fluid, but again, there are no bubbles when I bleed.

Should have mentioned that the brake fluid has likely never been changed in 7 years.  I also noticed a bunch of tiny black particles flowing out of the bleeder when draining the old fluid.  Perhaps something inside the caliper is clogged?  Looks like I may be taking it apart and cleaning it.

Edited by mossman77

I took the caliper apart, cleaned out the passages and the pistons, lubed the pins, put everything back together, bled the system, and now the brake is working great.  Think there was just some air in the top of the brake line where it loops above the master cylinder.   Oh well, at least I know the caliper is nice and clean and lubed.