Sign in to follow this  

crf80f drive sproket wobbles

my son's 2010 crf80f seems to destroy chains, well at least the last one.  it only lasted three rides and stretched abnormally, and seems worn.  it actually came off the rear sprocket on our third(last) ride.  i had to adjust it on the trail.  it was an rk420mxz

i went back to the tried and true DID brand, a 420nz3.  while installing it i noticed the drive, or counter shaft sprocket was wobbly on the drive shaft.  i inspected it a bit further.  i looked at an online parts fiche and all parts seem to be there.

i keep my chains well maintained, proper slack, cleaned, lubed, etc...  i have been minding bike chains for 20 years.  that being said, i still could be doing something wrong.

so, my questions are:

is the counter shaft sprocket supposed to wobble?

what is the strongest chain? 

am i doing something wrong or am i missing something?

thanks people!

Yes the countershaft sproket is supposed to have play. Make sure your rear axle nut is tight and that its not sliding foreward as you ride. That is problibly what your problem is

thank you for the reply.  i appreciate you confirming the sprocket wobble.  i was questioning my sanity for a while.

i am pretty sure i over torque the rear axle nut so i doubt it's moving.  perhaps i will torque to spec in the future.

the guy on the parts counter at the local dealer thinks i am over tightening the chain.  he told me to make sure i have the correct slack on the chain when jr is sitting on the bike.  i don't think this is the case.  but to be cautious, when i installed the new DID chain i left a little more slack than i usually do.  in fact i sat my 270lbs down on that poor thing and made sure there was still a lot of slack when my girth was bearing down on it. 

my guess is that a 420 chain is just too light.

Yea that could be it. Mark the axle position on the swingarm with a sharpie, and then ride for a week, ad see if the axle is still in line with your mark. Its problibly your chain though.