My New DRZ to uncork or not

There she sits, a 2014 DRZ 400S  lil over a 100 miles on it and it starts and runs great. My initial feel of it?

1.  Close ratio gearbox. Greared too low for the street.

2. Peppy, but not impressively so. I have a 1975 XL350 that pulls harder.

3. Busy at 55 MPH.

4. Tires well we all know....

what I would like to do, thinking of.... 3X3 mod, jet kit slip on muffler. But! ..... I uncorked my 2005 XR650L it was lean as all get out from the factory. Dynojet kit, smog removal, slip on - Uni filter - much better starting cold and better idle. Power increase? not notable.  Maybe pulls a wee bit better, milage went to the crapper. I am afraid these will be the same result with the DRZ. 

The only bike I have and do own that was night and day different from unclorking was a brand spankin new XR250R. Stock it was pathetic. I almost returned it to the dealer.  what a dog! hard to start. Wheelie? HA! yea if you attach a chain and hoist to the front end. Reluctantly I readof uncporking it and thought can't hurt it.

the Results?  were absolutely amazing! as if someone had deleivered another bike.  All I did was remove the air box lid, backfire screen, and install a UNI filter. Main jet and piloticon1.png jets change to a 135 and 48 respectively. And a FMF powercore IV.  Adjustment carb fuel air screw and started it.  Bark was nice, a lil loud.  Snick it in gear and depart for test ride.  Grab a handful in first as I expect not much is going to happen on my previously slothy sled - BRAP! up comes the front end on power alone! NO WAY! pulls like a lil monster and wheelies at the blip of the gas! easy 1-2 kick starts and idles perfectly.  The bike has been that way for 10 years now.  I even went back to stock once - just to prove to a friend the HUGE difference.  He agreed he had never seen an uncorking make such a difference. 

Will the DRZ exhibit like charecteristics if I unleash the beast within?

Absolutely do the 3x3 and jet kit.

However I would skip the slip on, all it will do is make it louder. If that's what your after have at it, but it sounds like you don't want to throw money at things that won't make a difference.

All the restriction in the stock exhaust is in the header. An E model header would yield more noticeable gains than a slip on. If you don't want to spend the money for a full system like the MRD the E header is a good choice.

Motosprtman , your fears are justified , uncorking the bike wont turn it into a snarly fire breather , it will only help it to run properly without the lean surge that many DRZ`s have . In saying that , it will carburate better . Many have an annoying lean surge on constant throttle and a very slow acting throttle from off to on . I seriously doubted my decision in buying the SM I have , like you did with the XR . Once I did the 3x3 mod and rejet , it just totally changed the way it ran , got rid of the surge and the throttle worked like it should no more massive step and stumble from off to on . It will drop the MPG though as you are opening up the airbox inlet and adding larger jets , but its negligible . To pass emission regs the factory has seriously restricted the air/fuel intake and the exhaust , luckily these can be easily changed with the 3x3 mod , rejet and a new , full exhaust ( as the restriction is in the diameter of the header , a slip on will just make expensive noise ) . If you really want to make more noise and you dont want to change the system , then try an end piece for the std pipe , it will open it up a bit and make a better sound plus ncost way less . Many people never touch there bike and are very happy with the way it runs , but as you found out with the XR , it may become something else , but one thing it wont do is comprimise the reliabilty and way it runs , if you do it properly  , greg

• Like 1