Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) '08 WR250F Inspection

Hello,

I'm going to look at a gently thrashed '08 WR250F and could use some guidance. I am not new to dirtbikes, just new to the WR. Over the years I have turned my '00 YZ250 into quite the woods weapon. I was looking for a "back up bike" when I stumbled across this. It got me to thinking "Hmmm... maybe this is what I've been trying to create all along. 

The WR has had the jets done, grey wire trick, baffle removed, handguards and deflectors installed as well as a Rekluse EXP (not Core). It has around 400 miles total. The guy built it for his wife to trail ride with their grand kids. (but only to church on Sundays). 

I'm wondering what I should be specifically looking for. I don't know what the service intervals are for valve adjustments, or what to look for and listen for specifically on a four stroke. I do however understand the basics (wheel bearing side play, air filter cleanliness, swing arm side play, chain and sprocket condition, etc...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

No secret tricks, but just the same stuff to look for as on any other dirt bike:

How the air filter looks is always a good indicator because most guys are more than willing to just let it stay hidden behind it's plastic airbox out of view.

Are the chassis bearings good, or are they shot?

Drive chain and sprockets good, or are they shot? (Actually, I always install a brand-new chain on a used bike even if the one it came with looked OK).

The condition of the handlebars, control levers, shift pedal, and brake pedal can tell you a lot about how the bike was used.

Basically, the further away from new they are, the more the bike was crashed and/or neglected, and if the guy doesn't even want to replace a bent clutch lever, how's he going to view things like changing the oil once in a while, or servicing the air filter on his dirt bike, or, Heaven forbid, greasing the shock linkage, swingarm pivot, and steering head bearings?

Edited by YZEtc

YZEtc, good points all, but still I'm looking for what i'd be looking for that's not on a 2T. Those I know about, 4T I do not. I will learn 4T stuff eventually, but it will take time as any evolution does. 

You'll want to check the air filter and pull it if the seller will let you.  Bring a flashlight, pull the filter and see if dust has been getting past it.   If so, it's usually around the edges and you can see a streak of dust.  Check the oil, bring a popsicle stick or dowel rod, something you can dunk in there.  You're want to see clean oil, not black goo or grey froth. The engine should start easily and not make any unusual noises.