Sign in to follow this  

I need help with my dirtbike!

okay so today i was driving my 2007 crf150f, which runs amazing by the way. anyways i went trough a puddle which made my bikes tire half underwater, the puddle was like10- 15 meters long, so anyways i drove through it, and started to turn around and my bike died. like it just shut off, it wouldnt start for like 2 mintutes and note the fact, that my bike is Electric start. anways it wouldnt fire without the choke but when i put full choke on and let it sit there for a little bit, it was okay. So imediatly turned around to go home and i had to go through the puddle again, so i did and gave a good amount of gas. and as soon as i got out of it my bike died again, but turned the choke back on and started right up, then i drove it home. i let it sit there and it was still idling fine. so i dont know what happened, maybe the bike just got really cold from the water and died or something? i really hope its nothing bad. NOTE my bike also had a hard time starting after i washed in with a hose. it wouldnt start so i had to use the choke again then i let it warm up and ran fine. So whats going on? I NEED HELP! thanks any input will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TT! Where are your carburetor vent hoses located? If they go under water or get plugged up the bike cannot get fuel. If they are going underwater change your routing. When you wash the bike you could be getting water in the airbox from water getting under the seat. Or if you don't plug the exhaust and water enters the pipe that can make it unable to start.

Edited by THE.CRF.RIDER
  • Like 1

Check for air leaks around the carb boots. You may be ingesting water (and air) through there also.

Sounds like you need to clean your air filter and make sure that things, like the side cover for the air box, gets sealed up real well. My wife rides through plenty of water on her 150 and doesn't have this issue.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I just took a look at my side fender with the air box and it seems to be lose, i do not have time to take it off and look at the air filter but could that missing bolt on the side fender covering the airfilter be a problem?? Thanks so much for all the support!

Hey everyone! I just took a look at my side fender with the air box and it seems to be lose, i do not have time to take it off and look at the air filter but could that missing bolt on the side fender covering the airfilter be a problem?? Thanks so much for all the support!

Yes, you loose the sealing effect that keeps water and "extra" air out of the box. Get your filter cleaned up, change the oil (look for signs of water in it) and make sure the seal on the air box is still good.

• Like 1

6 riders! I'm sorry but I mixed up the sides! the BATTERY side fender is the one missing bolt! Could it still be the problem?

Only if your battery is getting wet, which could be the problem, I didn't think about that. Time to get in there and play with it eh?

I'm not sure of its the battery, because as soon as it died I hit the button and is was still turns over so I'm not entirely sure

I was told on here that your bike will do this sometimes if it gets a lot of water sitting around your spark plug  / plug boot.

Have everyone! I found out what the problem was! Found out my spark plug was a little bit loses, water was getting in the motor. But now it's fixed and runs great! Just want to say thanks for all the support!

Welcome to the world of motorcycle technicians!  

Michael1979, 

Just know that if you do have issues, SOMEONE on this website will have the answer.  Thumpertalk is a wonderful tool.  

I just saw your post today.  I thought you got water in your airfilter, but yes, if the spark plug is not tight, that would do it.  Sounds like it's time to go riding!