Sign in to follow this  

I need a kick starter spindle for a 1996 XR400...

I have been searching high and low and cannot find a spindle.  Does anybody have one sitting around they would be willing to sell?

Thanks,

Darren

The spindle has been discontinued by Honda and I have tried upwards of 20 or so national dealers, Ebay, Craigs List, Amazon, etc and there is not one to be had in all the land.  Hence this posting.

Still looking.  I hope someone has a spindle sitting around that they are willing to part with.

Thanks

All the parts are the same for the 99 and later kickstarter ratchet assembly besides the shaft and spring.

The kickstarter knuckle and right side case (kickstarter oil seal OD is bigger) would need to be swapped too. There are a few 99+ right crankcase covers on ebay now.

Did you mean "motosports.com"?  The address that you gave did not take me to any sites that sell parts.  It was just an informational site.  I tried the motosports.com and they don't have them in stock either.  

So, I am still hoping for someone to have one sitting in an old motor or on the bench.  Thanks.

He probably meant Motosport.com. They list the part as shipping within 3 to 6 days which means they don't have them in stock. Good luck.

The kick starter upgrade is a bit of funny one. I believe the kick starter was upgraded in 1998. But the kick starter shaft was upgraded in 1999? The same time as the counter shaft was upgraded? Would it be possible to machine the old case the except the new oil seal kick starter shaft?

So the old kick starter shaft is 18mm and the later style is 20mm. I still mainly hear about the countershaft braking. Which means a whole engine split!

Edit found this

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/91670-xr400-kickstart-levers/

Edited by hondahead98

Thanks for everybody's help.  I found one in the Netherlands.  I ordered it on Friday and it was at my door on Monday evening and it was a few bucks cheaper than the ones advertised here in the states (even though they didn't actually carry it in stock).

Congrats on finding what you needed. Crazy that you had to go to the Netherlands to find it, but better than the other options you were asking about/considering.