Finally pulled the trigger... And bought a 2013

So my thoughts and reviews of this bike... I was secretly comparing it to my old 2005 450X but I never let it know!

The power was exceptional, I tore the South Hills up around Billings and had lots of good hill climbs and single track! There were two when I got back to Montana almost a month ago and only one today, so when I decided I was going to buy it I took it for a nice little 15 minute ride around the dealers lots. Brought it home and rode it fairly hard, let it cool and then another ride varying speeds and RPM's, then It got an oil change and filter. I was still running a full quart in the transmission and .75 in the engine. I used Shell Rotella 15W-40 which I always ran in the old bike.

I still need to work on the suspension and fiddle with it.

The seat is less than comfortable.

I want to get aftermarket exhaust and I HONESTLY think it needs to be jetted, because it idles like shit, constantly dies and when I let off the throttle it "idles" (use that term loosely) higher than the recommended 1700 +/- 100 RPM and makes for a difficult ride when it wants to accelerate down the hill and you just want to coast.

I haven't got to ride like this for over 4 years and it absolutely sucked, I had an absolute blast!!

I got a '13 earlier this year and yes it ran like crap. I can assure you they are not jetted properly off the floor. I got the JD jet kit and added a fuel screw. I opened the air box and it ran absolutely great. I added an FMF slip on and it seems a tad bit lean again so I purchased a 45 pilot jet. Will be installing this soon, but it is wayyyyy more rideable now than it was before. No plugged jets or anything, it simply would not idle before and as the fuel screw was blocked off there was no adjusting it. It needs at least a 162 main and a needle.

I got a '13 earlier this year and yes it ran like crap. I can assure you they are not jetted properly off the floor. I got the JD jet kit and added a fuel screw. I opened the air box and it ran absolutely great. I added an FMF slip on and it seems a tad bit lean again so I purchased a 45 pilot jet. Will be installing this soon, but it is wayyyyy more rideable now than it was before. No plugged jets or anything, it simply would not idle before and as the fuel screw was blocked off there was no adjusting it. It needs at least a 162 main and a needle.

I'm gonna research parts when I head back over to North Dakota in my spare time. I planned on the JD kit, smog delete and hopefully exhaust. I'm nervous about jetting it though, guess that's why there's instructions.

I keep thinking about how smooth my 05' X was, that's what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the information, too!

I'm gonna research parts when I head back over to North Dakota in my spare time. I planned on the JD kit, smog delete and hopefully exhaust. I'm nervous about jetting it though, guess that's why there's instructions.

I keep thinking about how smooth my 05' X was, that's what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the information, too!

I added the R&D flex fuel screw. As crazybrother mentioned the fuel screw is blocked by a pin. You'll have to remove the carb and once out you can pull the pin out (a small aluminum pin) that looks like this

Pin_Crop.jpg

And on the carb it looks like this (item 50)

carb_parts_crop.jpg

I pulled it out using needle nose vice grips and a twisting back and forth motion.

Once the pin is out you'll have to get the fuel screw out. It requires a special tool, however, I took a red crimp connector and heated the plastic end of it until it started to melt. Be careful with this, I used a torch and you definitely do not want to be anywhere you have the carb or any gas soaked rags. With the end melted, not dripping or charred, just really soft, you shove it into the fuel screw hole and let it cool and form around the fuel screw head. Push and rotate to get the fuel crew out. Once it's out make sure the tiny washer and small O-Ring are out too. The R&D screw works pretty well, although I've not needed to adjust it yet, so I think any adjustable screw would be a vast improvement on the factory abortion.

Opening the air box, I just cut the top off of mine, and jetting as per JD's instructions will leave you with a HUGE improvement in starting, rideability and overall performance. The JD kit didn't have any istructions as to even adjusting the fuel screw, so this may be uneccesary. I set mine for 1.5 turns and played with it a bit once the bike heated up, but it makes very little difference. I am going to put a 45 pilot jet in it and see if that makes any difference, but I am very happy with the way it is now.The exhaust makes enough noise that it sounds as good as it runs, and now with the bigger tank, I can ride for hours.

Edited by harkon

Oh, and I should mention that the hardest part of all of this was removing and reinstalling the carburator. The hot start nut not was especially fun. Now that I've done it once, it should be easier. I did get an alloy nut for when I break the plastic one, as I'm sure I'll do eventually. Gettingnto the carb on this bike is still easier than some of the others I've had the pleasure of working on.

Edited by harkon