Sign in to follow this  

08 TTR125 popped out of gear, won't start

My son's 2008 TTR125 popped out of gear while he was riding and now it won't start.  The bike was bought new in 2010 and hasn't been used much.  I did adjust the valves, cleaned the air filter, adjusted and lubed the chain, changed the spark plug, changed the oil, drained the fuel tank and carb, etc. right before it went in storage.  He used it for a few days before this problem happened.  Unfortunately I am 4000km away so can't fix it for him.  I was hoping someone on here could offer advice so my wife and son can try to get it going.  Thank you for any replies :ride:

Will the crankshaft turn over, or is the engine locked-up tight?

Its not locked up.  I just found out the bike went over on the right side but it worked fine after.  I told him to check the air box but he hasn't yet.  It sucks being so far away and not being able to see the bike in person, and I won't be there for another 4 months.  Thanks for the reply.

I adjusted the valves by the book.  Think I did something wrong to cause this problem?  I'm still across the country and feel terrible for my son and wife. 

Friend looked at bike and said the valve keeper failed causing the piston to hit the valve.  There's a bent valve, broken valve guide, rocker arm shafts seized into head, head will need to be replaced, valve spring distorted, cylinder will have to be honed, cylinder also to install the rings, all new parts will have to installed into the head.  Mechanics quote is $934.71 in parts and $392 in labour for a total of $1543.48.  I paid $1800 for the bike so have a hard time swallowing that number.  I feel terrible and am wondering if I adjusted the valves incorrectly causing the failure.  I am still away with work and won't be back for another 3 months.  My poor son has missed lots of riding.  I hate being away from my family and not being able to help.  I'm tempted to just buy him a new bike and worry about the TTR125 when I get home.  What's everyone's thoughts on the parts the mechanic listed?  It seems like way too much money to me.  I appreciate any replies.   

First off, I dont know much about your situation, but that sucks. It really does. Being 16, I would hate to see my dad away for that long. But, back to business.

That does sound about right for the shop. Reasonable, for that bike, no. Its expensive no matter how you slice it. Especially if work $ meets/exceeds what you paid for it.

That being said, depending on your tools/how much you trust your hands, this could potentially be a great garage project for you and your son. Good bonding time once you get back with him. Sure it wont get done for 4 months, and not riding sucks, but ill wait 5 years if it means I save $800+.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.