Sign in to follow this  

SS or Unobtanium valves - 2008 TXC450

Well - blew the motor on my dual-sported 2008 TXC450.
Drive side crank bearing went - shrapnel from the bearing retainer got into the cam chain - cams skipped - intake cam caps snapped (dammit) - which is good - because then the valves didn't hit the piston.
The exhaust cam caps were made of stronger stuff however. Bent the valves. Piston looks OK - I was off-throttle when it went and was fast on the kill switch. No scoring on the skirt or in the jug - just 2 little polished places on top where the exhaust valves contacted.

In my long standing tradition of throwing good money after bad, I'm considering rebuilding the motor myself. That way I know who to blame when it grenades again.

Obviously - I'm splitting cases and replacing all the bearings - and I'd like to add a counter balancer while I'm in there - kinda tired of the paint shaker. I also plan to run 2 base gaskets and the 1.2 head gasket - a little lower compression would help with this crappy gas coming out of the pump these days. I have replacement cam caps (maybe - crossed fingers).

If I can keep the parts to well below a grand I'll do it - otherwise I'll tear it down and convert it all to modern art - or boat anchors.

Looking at the stock "unobtanium" valves - and holy moly - that's a budget breaker right there! Kibblewhite (KPMI) has stainless "Black Diamond" valves listed for a quarter of the price of the stock ones.

So, my questions for the people who are smarter than me (all y'all to be honest)... 1) worth it to rebuild? 2) CB worth the extra $300 the parts will run? 3) Kibblewhite stainless valves OK - or do I really need the titanium?

Well - blew the motor on my dual-sported 2008 TXC450.Drive side crank bearing went - shrapnel from the bearing retainer got into the cam chain - cams skipped - intake cam caps snapped (dammit) - which is good - because then the valves didn't hit the piston.The exhaust cam caps were made of stronger stuff however. Bent the valves. Piston looks OK - I was off-throttle when it went and was fast on the kill switch. No scoring on the skirt or in the jug - just 2 little polished places on top where the exhaust valves contacted.In my long standing tradition of throwing good money after bad, I'm considering rebuilding the motor myself. That way I know who to blame when it grenades again.Obviously - I'm splitting cases and replacing all the bearings - and I'd like to add a counter balancer while I'm in there - kinda tired of the paint shaker. I also plan to run 2 base gaskets and the 1.2 head gasket - a little lower compression would help with this crappy gas coming out of the pump these days. I have replacement cam caps (maybe - crossed fingers).If I can keep the parts to well below a grand I'll do it - otherwise I'll tear it down and convert it all to modern art - or boat anchors.Looking at the stock "unobtanium" valves - and holy moly - that's a budget breaker right there! Kibblewhite (KPMI) has stainless "Black Diamond" valves listed for a quarter of the price of the stock ones.So, my questions for the people who are smarter than me (all y'all to be honest)... 1) worth it to rebuild? 2) CB worth the extra $300 the parts will run? 3) Kibblewhite stainless valves OK - or do I really need the titanium?

You don't need the titanium for sure. If your bike were an 09 it would have had SS stock. Kibblewhites are, from everything I've read, THE valves to have for the real rider.

you might  want  to start by  getting the  good  bearing’s   from  george  at uptite.  kibblewhite  valves  are  great.    once mod is  to shave  about  .030 off  the top of  the piston instead  of  the  extra  base  gaskets  and  thicker  head  gasket.    an old  scott  summers  trick  he  used on  the  510...