Sign in to follow this  

KTM EXC 2T Fuel/Heat issue

Hi everyone,

I'm having issues with a 2012 KTM EXC 2T. The main issue is the running temperature. After idling for just a few minutes the header pipe is extremely hot, and the cylinder head also (to the point where they cant be touched!). Obviously something is amiss here, and I don't want to ride it for fear of causing engine damage!

I came to notice it after the last race i did, where fuel consumption was crazy, going onto reserve after just under an hour (9.5 ltr tank)! Also the bike was very hot, but I put this down to grass blocking the radiators. 

My initial thought was running too lean, so I've checked the air screw and idle adjustment. The air screw on the carb is set to 1.5 turns (as per manual), with the idling screw adjusting accordingly. The bike runs ok, albeit a little rich and sluggish off of the bottom from idling (From my limited knowledge I believe this is 'rich'?). I can;t imagine that the jetting is off as the bike has done 60 hours at current jetting and not experienced any problems before. The only complaint (which may or may not be related) is that the bike often stalls when idling, such as when going downhill etc. Although a small blip of the throttle has always overcome this. Apart from that the bike runs well throughout the rpm.

So I thought it may be a blocked pilot jet or something. I removed the carb and cleaned the jets, cleared overflow pipes (1 was blocked), checked the float level and made sure there was a good seal around the air boot. The bike has a clean filter. I didn't find anything out of place though. Reinstalled the carb and when running the bike up again it gets very hot almost instantly. One thing I have noticed is that the bike 'revs on' a little. As if after the throttle is released it revs a little before returning to the expected idle speed. 

Also, I run my pre-mix at 40:1. I know this is a debatable topic! I've always run at 40:1 and never had any problems up until now. Although I did have a diffferent brand of 2T oil, but ran my usual brand at last weeks race which was when the bike got very hot.

Now I may be totally wrong, this may not even be a jetting/fuel issue. Any help would be appreciated as I can't find anything that appears drastically wrong. Thats all of the information I can think of/everything I've checked so far.

Oh and I forgot to add - 

I removed the spark plug, which I believe shows signs of being too lean (Black, dry residue is how I would describe it, could post a picture to be more accurate if needed)

Everything you have mentioned is normal.

You can expect 15-20mpg max with this bike.

The engine will be too hot to touch in about 2-3 min.

You should NEVER idle a race bike motor without a radiator fan for more than 3 min, period! 

You need a SERVICE MANUAL 

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick

I have the manual that came with the bike, but it has very limited knowledge in it.

The exhaust is untouchable yes, but I've never noticed the cylinder head becoming so hot before.

Any ideas on mis-adjustment of air/fuel screws that could be causing it to run hot?

No!

There is not a problem.

This is how they run. All watercooled dirtbikes are like this.

You do not have a Service Manual, you have an Owners Manual.

Your fuel screw is for pilot circuit adjustment only.

You really really need a Service Manual, as I fear you will blow this motor up......

Any chance that the exhaust pipe has catalyst inside? Euro bikes are delivered with the catalyst pipe installed and a race pipe delivered separately. Unfortunately sometimes those catalyst pipes are on the bike when it is is sold to a new owner, and the race pipe is kept to the side.

Any chance that the exhaust pipe has catalyst inside? Euro bikes are delivered with the catalyst pipe installed and a race pipe delivered separately. Unfortunately sometimes those catalyst pipes are on the bike when it is is sold to a new owner, and the race pipe is kept to the side.

There's not catalyst on the bike. But you're right, euro bikes do sometimes come with cat exhausts fitted as standard

I believe it may actually be the water pump, going to take it apart tomorrow and have a check of that as I can see nothing wrong with the carb/fuel side of things

and @TheKoolAidMadeMeSick - yes the motor will blow, as I mean its getting very hot, not just 'race temperature'. Hence why I've decided not to ride it.................!

There's not catalyst on the bike. But you're right, euro bikes do sometimes come with cat exhausts fitted as standard

I believe it may actually be the water pump, going to take it apart tomorrow and have a check of that as I can see nothing wrong with the carb/fuel side of things

and @TheKoolAidMadeMeSick - yes the motor will blow, as I mean its getting very hot, not just 'race temperature'. Hence why I've decided not to ride it.................!

Open your rad cap and see if there is any activity

If you blew a head gasket, you would smell sweet exhaust