Sign in to follow this  

Woods racing?

I have a ktm 200exc from what people tell me it's an ideal bike for woods racing. I am definitely a rookie rider , but I wanted to try getting into woods racing. From people with experience, is there a class for rookie riders with little racing experience? Do you have to enter a league or so you just go to one of these races and register and ride ?

• Like 1

Yes you can just go to a race and sign up.

Depending on what race series is how much the entry fee is.

What area you from?

Ne, nw, se, Mw?

typically what kind of terrain you race in, depends on where the events are. typically, hare scrambles and enduro are run of over natural terrain courses and you would be racing in the woods if there were any. hare scramble and enduro races are regulated by the AMA and they have some rules about the course length, scoring, and classes, etc... most event organizer follow a subset of these rules. in general, you would start in C class, which is the beginner/novice class. as you gain advancement points, you advance to B and finally A class. in each class, there are sub classes,  based on engine size, e.g. 200x, 250cc 2T or open class or age classes (vet, senior, youth, etc..). typically, you can only enter one class/event. you can find out about some races on the AMA website and sometimes motorcycles stores will post flyers for events that are in the area.

E,g, 

http://americanmotorcyclist.com/events/search/results.aspx?state=OH&t=COMPETITION&c=CC&d=All

there are also non-AMA sanctioned events that are similar. most races you can just show up, enter and race the same day. often times, you can take your trophy home as well. at the minimum, you will need your safety gear and a silencer/spark arrestor. if the race is longer, e.g. enduro, you might also need to bring some extra gas cans. 

I'm am from NE ohio. How much is a typical entry fee? Thanks for the help.

CRA in North east ohio. racecra.org      $20 membership for a year, $10 entry free for each race  $20 to race each race

Typically how long are these races? 3 hours? Or more like 40 minutes? Thanks or the help you guys seem to be very knowledgable on this subject

Cra races are 2 hours for the harescramble. Most of there tracks are pretty easy.

• Like 1

Check out wexcr.com. It's a non-ama sanctioned hardscramble series that attracts people from all over Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Very organized an great turn out at there events for both bikes and quads. They race side by sides at a few of them too.

• Like 1

Go to your local bike shop that specializes in KTM or other euro brands. These guys are into the offroad scene and provide all the info you need. If there is a club close to you, join. You'll be glad you did. 

In Florida (www.floridatrailriders.org), you would pay $50 annual FTR membership, and $50 entry for each race.   Also, need AMA annual membership ($50).  So, $150 for your first race, but only $50 after that.  There are 15 Hare Scrambles in season, plus 10 Enduros. Also MX events.

AMA events have almost disappeared from SE Ohio. District 11 was huge about 10 years ago. Not sure why, but the outlaw series have taken over. It might have something to do with having to renew AMA memberships every year.

• Like 1

AMA events have almost disappeared from SE Ohio. District 11 was huge about 10 years ago. Not sure why, but the outlaw series have taken over. It might have something to do with having to renew AMA memberships every year.

I know a lot of people don't like the national format enduros that the AMA is pushing, but that is for enduro. not sure if there is any other factor than membership fees that non-AMA sanctioned hare scramble events would be popular. I know here, it's a district membership + AMA membership for the AMA sanctioned races, so having non-sanctioned events would save about $100/year in fees, plus the per event entry fees are padded for "legal" funds, etc...