Sign in to follow this  

05 xr650l plug looking lean after dynojet kit

Hi guys/gals. I just put the powerbomb header, Q4, and K&N filter on my xr650l. Even though fmf says you can run stock jetting but I wanted to be on the safe side. So I bought a dynojet stage one kit (consists of new needle, spring, and my choice of 160 main or 165 main) I put the 165 main jet in.

I am unfamiliar with 4 stroke plug reading but after i went of a few rides I pulled the plug and it looked rather "lean" to me. I would love to hear your input. From the attached picture.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399761386.633101.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399761407.996164.jpg

Thanks everyone!

And those jet kits don`t include a new pilot jet do they,BTDT..........

Chuck that kit out........get a keihin 52 pilot and 152 or 155 main.......

You are lean on the pilot side of the carb cucuit..

B

Thank you for the response. What does BTDT mean?

My plan was to go to up one size on both pilot and main. I went to the honda dealership and they said they could not get me jets as you described. They ordered me the dynojet kit instead. The kit suggested to turn the air screw out 2 1/4 turns also.

I am fairly new to this.

Thanks again

Aaron Powell.

It is hard to read plugs with the present gasoline.

BTDT = been there done that.

Your dealership can most certainly get the jets- they just won't or don't realize they have this big catalog...

Sudco, baja designs, a few other places have jets.

Dealers sell whatever is easiest.........looking up jets hurts their brain..jets are easily available if they dig their head out of their :moon: ..

B

Thank you for the response. What does BTDT mean?

My plan was to go to up one size on both pilot and main. I went to the honda dealership and they said they could not get me jets as you described. They ordered me the dynojet kit instead. The kit suggested to turn the air screw out 2 1/4 turns also.

I am fairly new to this.

Thanks again

Aaron Powell.

I have the same kit in my bike and it works great. Keep the 165 main jet. Its not needed to go to a bigger pilot jet. You need to do 2 things to richen things up. You need to grind the tab off the mixture screw at the bottom of the carb  if has not already been done. Turn the screw out to about 3-3 1/4 turns and secure it with some silver duct tape. Raise the needle up a notch. You will notice a huge difference. My pig carburates perfect. Has tons of bottom end torque. Does not surge or hiccup anywhere in the rev range. Also, if your bike still has the smog crap on it....ditch it. Swap the k@n for a unifilter, and do the snorkel mod if it has not been done yet.

Edited by Thumper3

If you are turning the fuel screw out to 3 turns out,,,that indicates you have a pilot jet that is too small.......

you will get better fueling with a pilot jet one size larger.....turning out the fuel screw does not properly enrichen the throttle range the pilot jet is designed to feed..

B

Edited by brianhare

If you are turning the fuel screw out to 3 turns out,,,that indicates you have a pilot jet that is too small.......

you will get better fueling with a pilot jet one size larger.....turning out the fuel screw does not properly enrichen the throttle range the pilot jet is designed to feed..

B

True enough. Turning the fuel screw out with the stock pilot jet in place will "help" compensate for the bigger pilot jet that is required. I realize i should have went up 1 size myself, but it runs flawless the way it is set, so i never bothered.

Ok. I'll start back at the beginning by bumping up the pilot to a 52 and the main to a 155. Seems to be the most popular advice.

Now my next question is, what should I do with the air screw at these settings. Like I said I am still new at this...backing the air screw out leans the motor out more correct? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to learn the right way to do this.

Thanks!!

it`s a fuel screw.not air..

Turning it in leans the mixture,,out richens it..

Here`s how to adjust your fuel screw properly........run the engine till it is hot....15-20 minutes of riding or more..

Adjust the idle speed with the throttle screw till you hit the idle rpm spec..........then turn the fuel screw in till the engine falters when idling..then turn the screw out till you get your highest rpm........no further than highest smooth rpm..

if it still pops on decel you can turn the fuel screw out slightly more.....you should be at arround 2 turns to 2 1/2 turns out on the screw..anymore than that then you need a larger pilot jet..

B

Ok. Awesome! Thanks again!

Since you already bought and installed the dynojet kit why not put the next size up pilot jet in it, set the mixture screw to 2-2 1/2 turns and try raising the needle a notch.

I did notice with the jet kit I installed that it dropped my MPG by about 10. So I'd like to try the 52/155 setting a first and go from there.

The jets I easily found online, should be in this week sometime. I'll report back ASAP.

The kit does work well for some. Just like some pigs like it leaner, and some richer.

I am very fussy, I ride mine like a trials bike, no spitting or hesistating or farting out idling at walking speed allowed and I could not get the jet kit to work well enough for me.