Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak advice please.

I rode very hard, wrecked a bunch, cleaned it and parked it. I came home from being gone for a week and found a significant pool of oil under my 300. I cleaned everything up and leveled the bike. Upon further inspection, it appears that it is leaking from under the oil drain bolt. Before the sarcasm pours in, yes, the bolts are all in place and tightened. Can someone please advise as to the next, best steps? Thank you in advance.

I rode very hard, wrecked a bunch, cleaned it and parked it. I came home from being gone for a week and found a significant pool of oil under my 300. I cleaned everything up and leveled the bike. Upon further inspection, it appears that it is leaking from under the oil drain bolt. Before the sarcasm pours in, yes, the bolts are all in place and tightened. Can someone please advise as to the next, best steps? Thank you in advance.

Has it been over tightened?

I too am guessin the inner clutch cover gasket is blown out.  Usually right behind the kicker.  Sometimes the tranny vent gets plugged, because the way KTM designed it.. There is a small plastic fitting that the vent attaches too and it has a very small vent hole in it.  It gets plugged with mud/dirt and then the crankcase pressures up, blowing the gasket out right behind the kicker at the top of the oil level.

I too am guessin the inner clutch cover gasket is blown out. Usually right behind the kicker. Sometimes the tranny vent gets plugged, because the way KTM designed it.. There is a small plastic fitting that the vent attaches too and it has a very small vent hole in it. It gets plugged with mud/dirt and then the crankcase pressures up, blowing the gasket out right behind the kicker at the top of the oil level.

As you know that's a common failure on KTM's. But it can happen even without with the case being pressurized. Another common failure point is near the coolant passage on the front of the engine. The newer black paper gaskets are turds compared to the green. A Cometic gasket is the fix.

To the OP, If you haven't heard of it it's an aluminum core gasket with a rubber type material fused to either side.

When I bought my 300 in excellent condition, I picked it up for about $2000 less than what they typically going for. I had noticed a few drops of oil at the back of the engine behind the kick starter. I questioned the guy and he said "yeah the CRANKCASE was leaking but the dealer fixed it up for me....was big bucks!" I was like....hmmm, ok.

When I got it home and warmed it up it puked oil and was unridable. The guy had known it and had lied to me. Based on a bunch of other stuff he said it was apparent he didn't actually know bikes too well....at least not KTM's. I think he had actually recently acquired the bike from the previous owner. When the clutch cover failed he thought it was the center case and dumped the bike when he thought he would be facing heavy repair cost....

Well his loss my gain, because $18 and about two beers later the 300 was ready to go and has been great since...lol..

Edited by Fattonz

Having had experience with the crappy gaskets and the poor design of the case behind the kicker, I now dimple the case/cover mating parts with an ice pick before re-assembly.  The dimples hold the gasket in place. And I also use the wider green gasket..

I also remove the OEM tranny vent hose and replace it with a piece of automotive fuel line, then run it up and back along the frame.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody, I wasn't allowed to work on my bike on Mothers Day (for some reason I don't understand) so I'll tear it apart tonight and see what I'm dealing with. I've got Cometic gaskets on the way and some extra fuel line.

• Like 1