Sign in to follow this  

Old bike vs. New bike

What's the power difference between say a 1992 YZ250 2 stroke and a 2014 YZ250 2 stroke. I'm not genius when it comes to engines so I'm wondering the power increase with newer technology. Also, if those said bikes were to have a flat drag race would the never one completely murder the older one?

Thanks,

I've always wondered about this too......... they never have any horsepower specs on older bikes.  The "newer" ones claim to have horsepower in the high 30's or so for 125cc, but realistically, I'm thinking around 27 horsepower.  But then again I'm new to dirtbikes so, I've yet to see actual numbers from those that have seen it ran on a dyno.

I know the 125cc racing kart blueprinted motors can make up to 42 HP (at the crank) though.  That's BEAST! 

Yeah I know all the specs are for the new ones. Hopefully someone on here a new one and an old one to compare or has ridden em both

In numbers it's probably around 5-7 more horsepower. And more torque, which in turn makes it feel quite a bit more powerful.

One of the main advantages of a new 2 stroke vs an old one is advances in technology and r&d that have made the power curve more linear.

Combine these two factors and you get a much faster and more rideable bike

Combine these two factors and you get a not much faster and more lame bike

There I fixed it.

what about weight? wont a new one be lighter?

So you think if they were to drag race the new one would absolutely kill?

If you use 'drage race' and dirt bike in the same sentence......  these old timer dirt bikers in here will give you no resepect, son!!!! 

Kinda like those teenage kids who goes and watch a Fast n' Furious movie with the great Vin Deisel, and comes out of the movie all excited doing donuts in the parking lot with their Geo Metro's.  And they think 1/4 mile is real racing, kekekeke, until they figure out what road course racing is all about (real deal).  No offense straight liners, keep on keeping on' in your little straight line.

Edited by Honda_Power

I'm not saying i was gonna drag race I was just using it as a measure of power and speed between two bihkes

So you think if they were to drag race the new one would absolutely kill?

Do you think there is any way you could modernize the older engine?

Technology advances with age, so I'm sure the newer bikes will of course have more horsepower then the older ones.  But you have to understand that 2 strokers aren't very complex motors that even with age, new space age technology and advancements have been introduced to them.  They are simple with very few parts, so I'm guessing all the extra horsepower comes in the small details from 'builders'.

the power delivery is different with the new ones. For example my 87 yz250 hit a lot harder than my 03 yz250 wich is a lot smoother. which one was faster? dunno. stock vs stock id say a newer one would be faster but not by much.

though another thing to consider is wear. An older bike wont be as tight as a new one.

Edited by Hutch1

There I fixed it.

HAHA, that's called your opinion, which I'm sure COULD NEVER be influenced by which bike you own personally.

Ever ridden a new KTM 250SX? You call 49 HP in a 250 2t lame? lol and your saying you'd rather own a 90s two stroke than a new one? My left ass cheek

Edited by yz125rider447

My brother has an older YZ250, I think it's about a '94. It's been built up quite a bit, it even has the long stroke kit in it, which is supposed to be the hot ticket for that year machine.

Anyhow, my stock 2003 YZ250 would destroy it. The 2003 has waaaayyyyyyyyy more bottom end power, along with a substantially stronger mid-range pull, that then ends in an even stronger top end than his '94 has being all built up. It's not even a fair comparison really. And his machine has been well taken care of. It's just the difference that years of evolution have advanced the powerband that much.

typically.... better carburation/combustion, wide powerband, better suspension, stiffer frame, etc... but most importantly (to the company), cheaper to make, e.g. probably cheaper bill of material (in adjusted cost), more efficient manufacturing, less hand assembly, less calls to tech support, less warranty claims, etc... i.e. things that really matter to the bean counters and increase bonuses to execs.

Instead of starting a new thread, what is the lowest (or highest, don't know terminology) gear that is safe that will give me then MOST low end and torque (don't care about speed). Also, what would a 13oz flyweel weight do?

suspension, braking, frame geometry and ergonomics advancements will play a bigger part than hp/torque numbers when you actually start riding on anything thats not a strait line. you can port an older motor to give you any powerband you want, prob at least 5 hp diff but again thats not doesn't matter as much as the other stuff

if you want a dirt bike for drag racing, you need to get a "hole shot" machine, typically a large bore open class stroke 2 stroke, like a kx500 or cr500...

Edited by cynicryder