Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust making license plate black

Hey guys/gals. I am new to ThumperTalk. I bought a 2003 DRZ400E recently and put my license plate on it and everything, however, I noticed that within the first 2 rides that the exhaust makes the license plate really dark black on the exhaust side. I figured it was just the exhaust gases coming out, but I am starting to think that the bike could be running too lean or rich. Is this a common issue if the plate is in front of the exhaust or should I check out the jetting of the carb? The guy that had it before me said that he had the carb jetted already. 

Also, I am thinking of getting new black handlebars for the DRZ. Is there a certain handlebar that y'all would recommend?

Thank you

It's normal for the exhaust gases to blacken the licence plate ....You may be able to relocate the plate

or redirect the muffler direction slightly by spacing the muffler mount out a tad.....

Is the bike running ok?

Untitled2.png

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

The bike runs perfect. I guess I was just being paranoid about it. I will probably end up relocating the plate somewhere else like you said. Thanks!

It's normal for the exhaust gases to blacken the licence plate ....You may be able to relocate the plate

or redirect the muffler direction slightly by spacing the muffler mount out a tad.....

Untitled2.png

My plate has turned black on the edge as well with the FMF slipon. If you are having this happen with the stock exhaust you may be able to rotate the end cap to direct exhaust out to the right side. Check out the laws where you live when relocating license plate. Where I live the plate must be horizontal mounted, lighted and have a red reflector visible from the rear.

Craigo, I like your mud flap, care to share any pics, material used to make it? I have the same edge light and SAR blinkers, looking for a clean way to mount a reflector.

My plate has turned black on the edge as well with the FMF slipon. If you are having this happen with the stock exhaust you may be able to rotate the end cap to direct exhaust out to the right side. Check out the laws where you live when relocating license plate. Where I live the plate must be horizontal mounted, lighted and have a red reflector visible from the rear.

Craigo, I like your mud flap, care to share any pics, material used to make it? I have the same edge light and SAR blinkers, looking for a clean way to mount a reflector.

I used black plastic from an old fender I had, just cut it to suit and added a stick on trailer reflector

This was also just to satisfy the law requirements here.....(the mudguard has to provide coverage above a 45 degree angle from the wheel axle)

It's fairly normal for your plate to get black like that. It is a sign that you are running rich but it's most likely that when you ac pump squirts fuel in you will get a little cloud of black enveloping the plate

Here's an actual picture of my license plate. Is it enough to worry about rejetting the carb? I have the FCR off the bike atm because it was leaking. I had to buy a new float bowl gasket for it. Should I go ahead and buy a JD jet kit or DynoJet kit for it? The previous owner said he had the carb rejected with a jet kit.

IMG_0135.JPG

• Like 1

If the previous owner already rejetted it then it's to rich on the main.seeing you have the carb off I would go down 1 or 2 main jet sizes and check your squirt duration( your looking for around 1 sec of squirt)

The bike runs perfect. I guess I was just being paranoid about it. I will probably end up relocating the plate somewhere else like you said. Thanks!

I take great pride in having the dirtiest plate west of the Missisippi, never clean it, the more dirt and lead that's on it, harder for people to read. Course cops may run up on your A$$ trying to read it, but there are beennis to a dirty plate.

• Like 1

Seems to be par for most aftermarket pipes. My MRD pipe actually tore my plate and I had to put a thick metal backing on it.Plate.jpg