Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike riding gear

I'm new to this little "Dirt Bike World"........ so I was wondering, would you laugh at me if you saw me wearing cheap motox gear that I bought off of Ebay?  But being new and clueless, I'm standing there thinking to myself I look more 'fresh' then a pimp straight from the 70's, while you old timers are chuckling inside trying to put on a straight face?

How bad is it with dirt bike 'politics'.  I don't want to be that dude with neon glow kit on his cruiser bike while blaring Lynrd Skynrd music through his motorcycle speakers.

Gear can get expensive..... no?  And are they even really necessary, excluding helmet, or is it more to look cool in it?  Come on, you guys know chicks dig them fancy smancy gear you smashed your piggy bank for, especially chest protectors (maybe because it makes you look buffer then you really are?  who knows, chicks are strange).

Edited by Honda_Power

I am all for buy once cry once when it comes to boots and helmets but stuff that's gonna get trashed like pants and jerseys are bought on clearance rack at local store or close out specials ... buy good gear to save your skin and get by gear fro flash factor....

I may just be old though and would rather put the money into my bike and making sure she's running good ....LOL

• Like 1

You worry way too much about what people think.

Chest protectors are, get this, protectors. Roosted gravel to the clavicle or nipple is a nightmare.

• Like 1

Buy good protection.....Pants and jersey on clearance. Pants and jersey are for comfort....wet jeans and a cotton tee will become uncomfortable and even cause rashing once wet and/or sweaty.

I have matching gear, but I got it for less than what a new jersey alone would cost me. I also try to buy me gear a "plain" looking as possible, pick colors for the weather (no black for summer etc.).

Helmet, boots and chest protection I tend to spend good $$ on. The CP will last for years and still be resellable. Boots and helmet last plenty long, depending on how well you take care of them and avoid crashing.

• Like 1

You worry way too much about what people think.

Chest protectors are, get this, protectors. Roosted gravel to the clavicle or nipple is a nightmare.

I was just kidding for the most part.  I'm just new to it all, and as with any new hobby or 'way of life' as I'm sure the latter is how alot of you see it, there are always those jaded old timers who are snobby or feels threatened by new people trying to get into 'their' turf..... for whatever reason, and look down upon these new folks.  It happens with all things, I'm just trying to get the feel of this little new world of dirt bikes.  Hehehe.

Back to gear.  I'll only be doing trails so...... I don't think I need to impress the ladies with my $400 Alpine Star boots. 

Don't wear jeans and a t shirt with sunglasses instead of goggles to a track. It's kinda like wearing jeans and a t shirt to a job interview. Yeah, you can do it, but do you really want to?

Plus jeans suck when riding. Their restrictive if their snug and if they're loose they're gonna be trashed by your chain, sprockets and pegs.

Last week their was this guy wearing jeans and a t shirt and sunglasses and tennis shoes at one local track. Full metal mulisha including number plates. He was trying to throw a mini scrub over this double that he was rolling every time. I thought he was trying to be Ronnie Mac until I realized he wasn't. Just don't be that guy

Back to gear.  I'll only be doing trails so...... I don't think I need to impress the ladies with my $400 Alpine Star boots. 

Nope, you need to impress your toes with a $350 pair of Gaerne SG10's. A great boot for trail riding! 

A lot of people say that since they're "only" riding trails they don't need the better gear.....and we (because I've thought this too) are oh so wrong! Trail rides will and DO see much more dangerious situations than guys that ride a groomed track with no big rocks, hiding stumps, roots and "spears".

Get good protection, don't be cheap in this area. It could save your ankles, knees and life!

• Like 2

Just wait out clearances. You can piece together a nice kit in about a year for cheap. Break the bank for a dot and snell approved helmet for around $100

Most money you'll spend is on boots and helmet if you do it right.

• Like 1

I'm new to this little "Dirt Bike World"........ so I was wondering, would you laugh at me if you saw me wearing cheap motox gear that I bought off of Ebay?  But being new and clueless, I'm standing there thinking to myself I look more 'fresh' then a pimp straight from the 70's, while you old timers are chuckling inside trying to put on a straight face?

How bad is it with dirt bike 'politics'.  I don't want to be that dude with neon glow kit on his cruiser bike while blaring Lynrd Skynrd music through his motorcycle speakers.

Gear can get expensive..... no?  And are they even really necessary, excluding helmet, or is it more to look cool in it?  Come on, you guys know chicks dig them fancy smancy gear you smashed your piggy bank for, especially chest protectors (maybe because it makes you look buffer then you really are?  who knows, chicks are strange).

If you are just starting to ride, there's no reason to spend the world of money on gear if you don't really have the cash.  Only losers make fun of other guys who are just starting out, so F-bomb them who cares?  I'm a cross-dresser, wear all kinds of different gear but it works for me.

• Like 1

I'm new to this little "Dirt Bike World"........ so I was wondering, would you laugh at me if you saw me wearing cheap motox gear that I bought off of Ebay? But being new and clueless, I'm standing there thinking to myself I look more 'fresh' then a pimp straight from the 70's, while you old timers are chuckling inside trying to put on a straight face?

How bad is it with dirt bike 'politics'. I don't want to be that dude with neon glow kit on his cruiser bike while blaring Lynrd Skynrd music through his motorcycle speakers.

Gear can get expensive..... no? And are they even really necessary, excluding helmet, or is it more to look cool in it? Come on, you guys know chicks dig them fancy smancy gear you smashed your piggy bank for, especially chest protectors (maybe because it makes you look buffer then you really are? who knows, chicks are strange).

Just go to RMATV and buy the fly gear!

It will get you rolling, then upgrade as needed.

• Like 1

Newbie question :  Why is it that motoX helmets are designed differently from 'normal' full face road helmets?  Why is it that it doesn't come with visor, and instead you have to purchase goggles seperately?

Kinda seems "Jerry-rigged" and ghetto if you ask me, as far as just slapping on an elastic waistband goggle around your helmet.  I mean, can they not come with a more professional way of designing?  Are these goggles even shatter proof?

Edited by Honda_Power

Newbie question : Why is it that motoX helmets are designed differently from 'normal' full face road helmets? Why is it that it doesn't come with visor, and instead you have to purchase goggles seperately?

Kinda seems "Jerry-rigged" and ghetto if you ask me, as far as just slapping on an elastic waistband goggle around your helmet. I mean, can they not come with a more professional way of designing? Are these goggles even shatter proof?

I believe.

Its a conditions thing.

Street bikes get more air flow so helmets flow less.

Dirt bikes have visors to block shading, if you ran a full shield, it would blind you in areas in trees with full sun.

DB helmets are designed for more airflow at lower speeds.

Goggles are made to be replaced.

• Like 2

Your over-thinking the whole gear thing. If you get any flack it would happen if you don't have riding gear not what kind or colour it is. Its about personal protection and minimizing injury not so much a fashion thing. As far as fullface helmets go, I think it would be impractical. There is a peripheral vision concern there, generally they are heavier and the heat build up would surely fog the visor and heat your head up too much. I guess goggles are in some ways a necessary evil but I'll take them over a visor, besides there are various options with them as well.

• Like 2

Your over-thinking the whole gear thing. If you get any flack it would happen if you don't have riding gear not what kind or colour it is. Its about personal protection and minimizing injury not so much a fashion thing. As far as fullface helmets go, I think it would be impractical. There is a peripheral vision concern there, generally they are heavier and the heat build up would surely fog the visor and heat your head up too much. I guess goggles are in some ways a necessary evil but I'll take them over a visor, besides there are various options with them as well.

Oh come on...... you mean to tell me you've never put your full gear on and strike a pose or two in front of a full length mirror before?  Or maybe even took a "selfie" pic while at it?

Liar!!   Hahahahahaha.

• Like 2

Oh come on...... you mean to tell me you've never put your full gear on and strike a pose or two in front of a full length mirror before?  Or maybe even took a "selfie" pic while at it?

Liar!!   Hahahahahaha.

Allright, your officially a troll. Signing off.

I did not read all the post here but as for us old timers. Most of us love to see young guys and gals getting in to the sport. Just dont be a smart arse and we will answer any question you have. We were raised in a different time era where you always respect your elders and we demand the same. As for riding gear. The two most important pieces are a Good helmet and Good boots. Next would be gloves, Goggles, chest protector, knee guards, etc. Remember good gear can save your butt so dont get 1/2 arse gear. If you cant buy it all at once get it slowly. Check craigslist & ebay for used stuff, but Dont buy a used helmet!! My dad use to have a saying. If you have a $5 head buy a $5 helmet. I buy the best I can afford as it only takes on hard impact to make you useless for life!! You are young so why take a chance on cheap gear as you will get years of life out of good gear. I walk ever day with a hobble and its no fun. Back in the mid 70's we did not have the protection we have now days and I wish we did.

Buy everything you can afford and mixing brands is ok, just get the gear to start then tweek as needed. 

If you are just starting to ride, there's no reason to spend the world of money on gear if you don't really have the cash. Only losers make fun of other guys who are just starting out, so F-bomb them who cares? I'm a cross-dresser, wear all kinds of different gear but it works for me.

Scared me there for a sec

• Like 1