Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Possibly relocating to Denver

I have an interview Thurs in Aurora. If all goes well I will need to move to the area. Looking for areas to NOT move into or around. Coming from Buena Vista will be a culture shock for a minute so needing to avoid more hassles by avoiding the areas where drama is an issue

Don't move into Saudi Aurora it is full of immigrants of all kind and it sucks. Denver is a drag too. If you wanna stay close to Aurora, go to the Smoky Hill area or Parker.

Littleton isn't bad but is far from Aurora.

This whole state is going to hell, and I wish I could live in Buena Vista vs. In Littleton/this close to Denver.

A bunch of Weed Transplants are moving in jamming up the roads, getting in accidents and jacking up all the prices.

All in all, Aurora is about the worst place you can live in the state.

Where about in aurora is your potential job?

• Like 2

Don't move into Saudi Aurora it is full of immigrants of all kind and it sucks. Denver is a drag too. If you wanna stay close to Aurora, go to the Smoky Hill area or Parker.

Littleton isn't bad but is far from Aurora.

This whole state is going to hell, and I wish I could live in Buena Vista vs. In Littleton/this close to Denver.

A bunch of Weed Transplants are moving in jamming up the roads, getting in accidents and jacking up all the prices.

All in all, Aurora is about the worst place you can live in the state.

Where about in aurora is your potential job?

36Th drive. I wish I could stay here also but single guy no kids decent wage makes obamacare too much to afford to live here so need job with benes.

Not too concerned with a little commute as long as the area is worth it

Aurora is just fine. You can't stereotype the entirety of Aurora. True, the more North you go the worse it is but grouping areas with million dollar houses in the 'the worst place to live in the state' is plain wrong.

Any area can be grouped into 'the bad part of town' if it has a low income section.

Spend under 100k on a home (anywhere) and you can expect some riff raff. Cross the 200k mark and it gets better. 300k+ and your mostly in a 'nice' area.

I love near buckley/iliff and is a great part of town. I love my neighborhood.

A friend lives in Denver Highlands. His home was near 300k. He has had almost every car he has owned while living there stolen (3) along with several high end bicycles. In the meantime, in my home that cost about half of his, I have had no break-ins, no theft, and at this point no shitty neighbors.

Plain and simple, you can't live in a metro area without the risk of thrives, gangs and the occasional shitty neighbor.

It is what you make it

Edited by shortburb

So he lives in a Newley built transplant neighborhood that Costs shit loads of money

And he's talking $300,000+ is like an affordable price range for most people?Get a clue buddy.

I'll say it again. Aurora is a shit hole. If not with the "riff raff" then from the attitudes from transplant yuppie neighborhoods that'll call the HOA if your grass is .0001 inches too tall or your trash can is too full....

Guys like that is why my bumper sticker says "No Vacancy".

• Like 1

Aurora is just fine. You can't stereotype the entirety of Aurora. True, the more North you go the worse it is but grouping areas with million dollar houses in the 'the worst place to live in the state' is plain wrong.

Any area can be grouped into 'the bad part of town' if it has a low income section.

Spend under 100k on a home (anywhere) and you can expect some riff raff. Cross the 200k mark and it gets better. 300k+ and your mostly in a 'nice' area.

I love near buckley/iliff and is a great part of town. I love my neighborhood.

A friend lives in Denver Highlands. His home was near 300k. He has had almost every car he has owned while living there stolen (3) along with several high end bicycles. In the meantime, in my home that cost about half of his, I have had no break-ins, no theft, and at this point no shitty neighbors.

Plain and simple, you can't live in a metro area without the risk of thrives, gangs and the occasional shitty neighbor.

It is what you make it

Thanks for your input. I will be renting to start out. Prices for rental homes are about same as bv.

All my real concerns are around solidifying my job, trying to avoid outside drama while doing that. .Of course.I had all my gear stolen from my truck last year so I know nothings a sure thing.

So he lives in a Newley built transplant neighborhood that Costs shit loads of money

And he's talking $300,000+ is like an affordable price range for most people?Get a clue buddy.

I'll say it again. Aurora is a shit hole. If not with the "riff raff" then from the attitudes from transplant yuppie neighborhoods that'll call the HOA if your grass is .0001 inches too tall or your trash can is too full....

Guys like that is why my bumper sticker says "No Vacancy".

Yep.

You go right ahead man.

• Like 1

Yeehaw! I see both sides of the fence are here. The side that stated his friend lives in a 300k house and had shit stolen and his place at 150k hardly sees any weird crap, the other side seems to be the pissed off guy who loves the modern stuff like internet and disc brakes but really wants progress to stop. While I appreciate all the input, i would rather hear valid stufc than pissed off points of view. Oh and yeah, Colorado born annd raised, lived every where I had to to make a living, including Ca. I choose Co because its awesome. Probably why there are people moving here

Edited by Donjholt

Yeehaw! I see both sides of the fence are here. The side that stated his friend lives in a 300k house and had shit stolen and his place at 150k hardly sees any weird crap, the other side seems to be the pissed off guy who loves the modern stuff like internet and disc brakes but really wants progress to stop. While I appreciate all the input, i would rather hear valid stufc than pissed off points of view. Oh and yeah, Colorado born annd raised, lived every where I had to to make a living, including Ca. I choose Co because its awesome. Probably why there are people moving here

I agree, CO is awesome.  I was born here (lived elsewhere for some of my life) but I never get tired of CO as a whole.  I lived in Gunnison for a number of years as well as Westcliffe for a short time.  I enjoy the small towns but the Big City has the advantages of (usually) a better economy.  I unfortunately also lived in Dallas for for quite a while... but that gives me "some" perspective about Denver.  Denver is MUCH smaller so I really like that... even though it's so much bigger than the smaller towns in CO.  My point is... I like living in the Denver area.  It's not perfect or anywhere near it... but it's still CO, I have a good job, great friends/family and I can ride dirt or street almost year round.  

I have friends that live in Denver, Aurora, Englewood, Littleton, Parker, Lakewood, Golden, Highlands R, Parker, Castle Rock and they are all nice places that have MINOR pros and cons.  I'm not as familiar with the northern parts of the city... but I can't imagine you'll go wrong if you do a little due diligence before settling down permanently.  Feel free to hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Good luck on the job!!

There are nice places in Aurora on the South side near Cherry Creek (Cherry Creek isn't inexpensive though) and the schools there are fantastic. I didn't see you mention if you had kids. What are your priorities?

No kids n no wife! Just me and my priorites are finding a decent affordable place. A gatage would be sweet but storage space will do as my Beta will. need some space.

I have always herad bad things about Aurora. I've never lived there but I have a lot friends that did and still do. Littletonn and Englewood are nice in the southern part of the metro area. I love living in the north part of the city in Broomfield. The traffic is not too bad and I'm less than half an hour from Denver or Boulder. It may be a substantial trek if you're working in Aurora though. Just try to find a place where your commute does not absolutely have to involve I-25. It's always a parking lot.

Parker is nice, but its getting expensive.. east of 470 is Nice, but expensive.. my brother just moved from Quincey and 470... Not a SUPERB  area... but not bad if you look around.. there are lots of good areas in Aurora... pretty easy to tell by driving by and looking in the parking lots of complexes whats going on there. they are renting their nice house on quincey for about 1500/mo.  Their new house east of 470 on Smokey Hill is much more expensive...   bottom line, if your looking for trouble, you will find it. There are deals to be had anywhere if you happen to find it... just look around.

Parkers full.  unless you care to help work on motors... then we can find a place for you.

In all seriousness, its not bad, and the drive to aurora shouldn't be to bad - depends where tho.  South and east aurora isn't bad, but the closer to denver you get the sketichyier it gest

I have lived in Englewood, Lakewood and just moved to Westminster. I came from a very small town and it was a culture shock, but I got over it. I was told to stay away from Aurora while looking for a place, so I did. Also note, from reading a response to your question relating to stoners moving in and being terrible drivers, people from Colorado also suck at driving. My native friends are just as bad as the transplants and no one seems to understand the basic concepts. Blame it on the stoners, but really it is probably more of a symptom of multiple driving styles from different states trying to mesh together and it doesn't work. Keep right except to pass in Colorado is apparently a myth.

Englewood (2 years)- I was near the Hampton/Broadway. I liked living there but it was a little ghetto where I was and the quality of people wasn't quite what I was looking for. It sucks going to the store and having it full of undesirably people. Eventually moved to Evergreen, which was great until my lease was up and had to move.

Lakewood (3 years)- I lived in the Belmar area (~mile) and it was much better. Green Mountain is close and the stores up there were not nearly as bad as Englewood. Belmar was always crowded but the quality of people there seemed more what I was used to being from a small town. Not nearly as many dirt bags. Our neighborhood was nice and I even left my garage open on accident and didn't have anything stolen which would have sucked because there were five bikes and shit load of tools. When looking to buy a house I tried to find something in that area but I couldn't get the exactly what I wanted in our price range. Then to Westminster.

Westminster - I am still new to the area, but everyone in my neighborhood is nice so far and made it a point to come say hi while I was setting the garage up. Everything is new up where I am, 88th/Wadsworth area, and again the stores are WAY better than I expected. New, clean and most importantly not full of dirt bags. My commute to Englewood for work sucks, 30 minutes, but I can deal with it to get home and not feel like I live in a shit hole. I cannot stress enough how great it is to go into the grocery store and not be surrounded by hood rats and dirt bags. Another plus, if I need to find a new job I am close to Boulder and Denver. Best of all, I have seen other dirt bikers in the neighborhood and I am now closer to IMI and VDR.

I'm also in Westminster, 100th and Wadsworth. the Burbs aren't for everyone, but they do fine for us. I know all my neighbors, we all watch out for each other. Live in a cul de sac, and have the occasional community get together- we roll out a bbq and everyone brings something. to cook/eat. Lots of kids. I too have left the garage open overnight, came out with the shock of "everything will be gone"- Nothing missing. Not that I like to make a habit of that, but good to know I don't have random people walking through my neighborhood that would jump on the opportunity to grab things. We are in the $200-250k range.

I commute from where I am to Tower/70 every day. Not the most optimal commute, but there is NOTHING I have seen on the east side of I-25 that I find suitable for my needs. The job is worth the commute, just the price I have to pay for now. Someday I hope they sort out 36/270 to being a little more functional for the traffic flow that they see.

My interview was around Tower/70! Everything went pretty good( I think). Guy told me I would be a good fit and woould hear something first of next week either way. Definitely a WAY different economy there than in Buena Vista.

Weird. I interviewed this guy today, and he somehow totally thinks he has this in the bag. I'll probably wait a month before calling him back for a second interview.

Seriously, good luck, let me know if you get the job in the area. we don't have much for grub here yet, but they are building a lot.

• Like 1

Weird. I interviewed this guy today, and he somehow totally thinks he has this in the bag. I'll probably wait a month before calling him back for a second interview.

Couldn't have been me! I suck at interviews, thats why I don't jobhop. It's been about 10 years since I had to. I tend to go by the " Better the devil you know" tbeory. I wouldn't be looking now but my company does not do health ins. and Obamacare is just crazy high.

Seriously, good luck, let me know if you get the job in the area. we don't have much for grub here yet, but they are building a lot.

Will do. Yeah, was pretty limited for choices.

My gf owns a gift shop in Silverton,Co and her first day open for this season was Friday and the first customer in her store was an apartment mgr for some place called Turnberry at Heather Ridge.

Curious if anyone knows of the area. Cherry Creek schools and the Heather Ridge golf course close by.