Sign in to follow this  

got myself a 2014 Ktm 250sx for 6000$, 4.3hrs

Picked myself up a 2014 Ktm 250sx for 6000$ cdn with only 4.3 hrs on it today, have a few questions i want to run 50/50 mix of race gas and pump gas in it what is the best fuel to get for it?, also can it be mixed at 25/75 race gas to pumpgas?, also what premix should i run in my new bike?

Picked myself up a 2014 Ktm 250sx for 6000$ cdn with only 4.3 hrs on it today, have a few questions i want to run 50/50 mix of race gas and pump gas in it what is the best fuel to get for it?, also can it be mixed at 25/75 race gas to pumpgas?, also what premix should i run in my new bike?

Why?

Simply run pump gas as recommended by Ktm at 60:1 or 50:1 if that makes you feel more comfortable. Non ethanol pump gas would be ideal, try for 93 octane. Mixing in race fuel will just be more costly and yield no tangible benefits unless you are a A or B rider who is a highly competitive racer. Plus if you go race gas, you will need to learn and understand revised jetting and possible long term consequences with engine reliability.

• Like 2

You would be throwing money away paying for race gas. Get your head cut by either cycle playground, slavens or any other competent tuner. You will spend between 50-75 bucks and will notice a much larger difference than running race gas.

Why?

Simply run pump gas as recommended by Ktm at 60:1 or 50:1 if that makes you feel more comfortable. Non ethanol pump gas would be ideal, try for 93 octane. Mixing in race fuel will just be more costly and yield no tangible benefits unless you are a A or B rider who is a highly competitive racer. Plus if you go race gas, you will need to learn and understand revised jetting and possible long term consequences with engine reliability.

Wondering what you mean by long term reliability issues? I have seen more engine issues due to inconsistent pump gas (detonation) than running good fuel.

Sounds good fellas

I had slavens cut my head for my elevation, cost me something like 70 bucks. He said not to run race gas, just premium pump. There is a ton of stuff about getting the squish modified on ktmtalk, visit there for a much more in depth threads about this. Hope this helps!

Wondering what you mean by long term reliability issues? I have seen more engine issues due to inconsistent pump gas (detonation) than running good fuel.

Sure, low grade ethanol pump fuel may cause issues like you mentioned. A stock motor is designed specifically for pump gas, though quality pump gas is clearly a wise choice. While many riders do mix in race fuel, doing so should be done with knowledge of proper jetting setup in order to ensure you are running the motor optimally and not to invite reliability issues. Without this knowledge and just winging it, you'll be taking unknown risks and will be better off running pump gas.

Of course, my view on this does not take into account what type of race fuel you wanted to add. There are many quality race fuels with higher octane, oxygenation etc...many of which will work exceptionally well in a stock motor. My point is simply that it may have little tangible benefit for someone and is hard to justify the significant costs

Sure, low grade ethanol pump fuel may cause issues like you mentioned. A stock motor is designed specifically for pump gas, though quality pump gas is clearly a wise choice. While many riders do mix in race fuel, doing so should be done with knowledge of proper jetting setup in order to ensure you are running the motor optimally and not to invite reliability issues. Without this knowledge and just winging it, you'll be taking unknown risks and will be better off running pump gas.

Of course, my view on this does not take into account what type of race fuel you wanted to add. There are many quality race fuels with higher octane, oxygenation etc...many of which will work exceptionally well in a stock motor. My point is simply that it may have little tangible benefit for someone and is hard to justify the significant costs

Right on, I believe bad jetting is bad no matter what fuel you are using though. I happen to mix C12 with pump fuel. Like you mentioned, I make sure my jetting is pretty spot on.