Sign in to follow this  

Polaris Bizarre failure Outlaw KTM 525 please help

Hey guys. Out riding my 2011 525 Outlaw today and went about 2 miles when the quad seemed really low on powericon1.png. I pulled over and it was smoking like crazy from oil hitting the exhaust. I turned it off, took it apart, and found a screw missing at the top of the cylinder, valve cover area. It seems like it sheared off. It spewed oilicon1.png from the hole where the screw used to be. The picture is a birds eye view looking down at the top of the head. The red arrow points to the missing screw. Has anyone seen this failure before??  Any and all advice is appreciated, the season just started and I gotta get this thing fixed.  Thanks in advance!!

outlaw valve.jpg

Have not seen that happen, I would pull the valve cover get the rest of the bolt out check valves while your there, replace bolt check/change oil and fire it up and ride.  

that was a common failure for the RFS in the early years (200-2004), which i thought KTM took care of by now.  those two bolts are rather weak and the rocker arms rub on them untill they eventualy fail.  take out the bolt next to it and it will have the same wear marks.

the fix is to repalce them with hardened bolts.  contact Travis at Thumper Racing and ask him to send you a couple.  Travis knows those motors very well and the bolts are not that expensive. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I heard the early ones had an issue but this is a 2011, so I was surprised.  Maybe just my luck.  Replacing this one will be a pain as I can't access the bolt by just removing the valve cover, the top part of the head needs to come off and need to drain coolant too I believe.  I will contact Travis.  Really disappointing, I bought it brand new and have less that 12 tankfuls through it.