Sign in to follow this  

Compression and rebound settings for better hill climbing?

00 Xr250r, I'm about 145lb in gear. And always have a difficult time with nasty hills. Keep the tire pressure lower to help, but was curious what would be a good setting for the compression and rebound on the rear shock. My fat friends can usually get up the hills no problem on my bike. So im thinking i need to soften the compression, but maybe leave the rebound the same. As the suspension compresses to soak up thr bumps going up hill, I'd think you'd want the rebound to be rather quick or hard, to keep the tire in contact and keep up forward momentum.

Thoughts?

When climbing bike weight is increased on the rear and reduced on the front so suspension settings should be adjusted to compensate.  The XRs have shorter wheel bases than MX bikes so are more sensitive to rider position when climbing . I would soften front compression damping and increase rear compression damping.  Also reduced front spring preload and increase rear preload. These steps help keep the front wheel in contact with the ground.  Do a search on setting static and rider sag, then go to the high end of the range (more sag) for the front, and low end   of the range (less sag) on rear.

More important may be how you position your body weight when climbing. From Trials riding a line thru your body's center and the foot pegs should be perpendicular to the earth; no weight, or pull, on the bars.  Hill climbing is an aquired skill and nothing improves your climbing skills more than time on hills, just wear good protective gear.   Go for it! And ask your buds for advice. 

I've had no problems climbing anything on my XR400....going downhill is where I encounter problems..... :cry:

• Like 2

suspension settings need to be set for overall conditions. DO your friends know you're calling them fat on the internet? Climbing is about traction, and momentum. the reason your "girthier" friends don't seem to have the same issues is due to the increased weight transfer to the rear wheel over your 145# weight- whether you stand or sit, transfer some of your weight to the rear wheel when climbing and not leaning as far over the bars as you can (if that makes sense?), and practice starting the hill at the speed you want to finish the hill at. Trying to gain speed or momentum while headed uphill is a lot harder than "carrying" the speed you committed to at the bottom of the hill.

Is your rear suspension sag properly set? This can effect the handing of the bike in all conditions. They might be heavy enough that they are squishing the sag in to the proper range, but you dont have enough lead in your britches to do the same.

Try 6psi.  Some Hard-walled tires need even less.  You need a rim lock and UHD tubes to avoid pinch flats,

I have set the sag properly, don't remember offhand what the sag height should be when i get on it. But i did it a few years back. I'll try the 6psi and play with the compression and rebound settings.

One thing i know that isn't helping is the Sedona front tire I'm running... That thing has a sidewall harder than steel and to get any flex ir decent tracking i have to keep the pressure low. But then its seems to squirm. I hate it, need to get a better intermediate front. The rear is a new kenda Millville, the one that can be switched direction for soft or intermediate terrain.

And yeah, i tell my friends they're fat.. They've all got at least 60lbs on me, so they have a much easier time on those hills. I'll try softening everything up and see if my traction increases.

I'm glad this is not just me. Mine flat-out sucks on steep hill climbs. Moderately steep? Not too many problems. Widow maker steep? Forget it. I have a pretty good chance on my wife's YZF if I can keep the revs up, but my XR4 blows. I have it set up to run flawlessly at low and mid speeds in the woods, but if my buddy wants to stop and dink around on a hill climb, it is a spectator sport for me; I've given up trying. I've just chalked it up as a heavy bike with a short wheelbase and awkward (high) center of gravity.

And FWIW, I am ~220# geared up.

I'm surprised you have problems being heavier and a xr400.

Funny thing is, i could go up any hill on my old ttr-225, that thing rode like a Cadillac, super soft suspension and it weighed like 270lbs? Even though it was anemic in power compared to the XR, it was great at hill climbs, it also sat lower, so I'm guessing the center of gravity was lower and helped as well.

I've had no problems climbing anything on my XR400....going downhill is where I encounter problems..... :cry:

The gravity enhanced white piglette doers go downhill fast. That and picking it up are my two complaints about the xr400.

Xr250 is about getting a good run up and maintaining momentum.

Take a pen and pad.

1 click, you'll never notice. Go 2 clicks and write it down.

Or use a grease pen and write on the tank.

You can add a couple links and move the axle back.

If you have hard dirt and rocks, get a trials tire.

The gravity enhanced white piglette doers go downhill fast. That and picking it up are my two complaints about the xr400.

.....and starting it on the side of a hill....that's always fun.

.....and starting it on the side of a hill....that's always fun.

Forget that.. I just hit the decomp lever and pop the clutch going back down.

• Like 1

It's more riding techinque.  There's a LOT more to hill climbing than most people realize. 

Once moving, you'll need to STAY OFF THE SEAT and in a WELL BALANCED position on the pegs.  You need to take the time to have your line picked out before you start.  If the front end feels like it's starting to come up, lean forward on the front wheel, if you are spinning, lean back a bit to put some weight on the back wheel. 

But starting out...   especially with decent traction, you're safer leaning further forward than rearward.  Get up on the pegs, and lean forward over the bars while keeping the throttle pinned.   If you're sitting down or too far back, the rear suspension will knock you out of your line whenever the rear tire hits something. 

Good Luck!

That makes sense, I'll take some videos of this nasty hill I always have trouble with Memorial weekend. We have a guy who sucks on a dirtbike, is okay on a Atv, but is an absolute mad man on a 3 wheeler...! He tackles this nasty kill with relative ease on that death trap, he's got tightly spaced knobbies, almost like turf tamers. I'm sure it helps.. But it's a spectacle to watch him blast up that thing. I would say the hill is at least 1000 feet in distance to the top. And with the deep leaves, ruts, and rocks.. It's a tough one.. And impossible at night.

That makes sense, I'll take some videos of this nasty hill I always have trouble with Memorial weekend. We have a guy who sucks on a dirtbike, is okay on a Atv, but is an absolute mad man on a 3 wheeler...! He tackles this nasty kill with relative ease on that death trap, he's got tightly spaced knobbies, almost like turf tamers. I'm sure it helps.. But it's a spectacle to watch him blast up that thing. I would say the hill is at least 1000 feet in distance to the top. And with the deep leaves, ruts, and rocks.. It's a tough one.. And impossible at night.

If a 3 or 4-wheeler can do it...  You can do it!

Your balls will probably be up near the gas cap with the throttle pinned as you go up the hill.  Stay forward on the bike and up on the pegs...  and attack it.  There's no moderation with hill climbing.  You hit it WFO and stay in attack mode until you get to the top!  At your 145lb weight, that 250 should be able to climb about anything.  With it pinned in 2nd gear, there's not much that should stop it.  You've just got to COMMIT and make it happen!

Good Luck!

I want to see vid of the three wheeler! Is it a 200x, 250r? Even better if it's a 110!

Hah, I'll find out this year, And get a video of him! I know its a Honda 4 stroke, and does have shocks in the front and i think the rear as well. So it's one of the later models, Its at least 200cc's. He actually bought an old xr250 and was horrible on it.. We were sidehilling on a pretty steep incline and he just couldn't figure out how to ride perpendicular to the hill. So i hopped on, motored it to level ground and let him use my Atv. We all had a good laugh on how he's like Travis Pastrana on the 3 wheeler.. But can't ride a normal dirtbike to save his life.

Hah, I'll find out this year, And get a video of him! I know its a Honda 4 stroke, and does have shocks in the front and i think the rear as well. So it's one of the later models, Its at least 200cc's. He actually bought an old xr250 and was horrible on it.. We were sidehilling on a pretty steep incline and he just couldn't figure out how to ride perpendicular to the hill. So i hopped on, motored it to level ground and let him use my Atv. We all had a good laugh on how he's like Travis Pastrana on the 3 wheeler.. But can't ride a normal dirtbike to save his life.

:lol:  Damn 3-wheelers are so hard to ride proficiently....that is funny!!! Growing up I had a dirt bike and some of my friends had 3-wheelers.....most of my worst crashes were on those damn things!