Sign in to follow this  

12 tooth counter sprocket?

Hey, where I ride sometimes second is too low and third is to high. Would using a 12 tooth sprocket give third that extra bit of torque for single track?

Thanks in advance. Bikes a 230

Yes, in that situation, a 12 tooth front sprocket will make third gear more useable. However, you could just as easily make second gear (and especially first gear) more useable. I find the stock 13/50 combo already too low. A 14/49 combo makes first and second gear more useable, while giving a little more speed on top, and it allows use of the stock chain length. That's what I use. Granted, in general, my riding in North Texas is probably more open than your single-track riding in BC, but I just can't imagine needing a lower gear than first, even with a 14/49 combo. I can still crawl along at walking pace and make my way over some pretty nasty Texas rocks. YMMV.

A 14 countershaft sprocket has no case clearance issues, but you do need to remove a small amount of plastic from the front of the stock swingarm chain slider. A 14 is pretty much bolt-on, it's not until 15 that real clearance issues arise. The 49 rear sprocket works just fine with the chain slider in the back.

• Like 1