Sign in to follow this  

Head gasket? Or water pump?

2002 CRF450R...not that it really matters, but just in case anybody was wondering. 

Start the bike up, blip the throttle to high rpm and coolant spits out the overflow tube with great pressure.  Blip it again, and it again shoots out coolant.  I tried the radiator cap from my other CRF450R, and it still spit coolant out.  Put the first cap on my other bike, no spitting of coolant.  

I have a small drip from the weephole under the impeller.  

The million dollar question:  Can a failed water pump cause the coolant to spit out with great pressure?  Or only a head gasket failure?  Do I have both problems?  

I haven't noticed any coolant leakage prior to this.  The bike starts fine, doesn't seem to have a loss of compression, but I haven't compression tested it to be sure.  

Wouldn't your bike be blowing clouds of white smoke if it blew a head gasket?  But yeah, do a compression check first.

Maybe you need a new cap?  I'm thinking if the cooling system isn't pressurized and circulating coolant properly, it pushes open air and spits coolant out the overflow tube?  I'm no master mechanic though.

Interesting. 

Excessive coolant pressure and discharge out of the pressure cap is usually from a leaking head gasket.

Water out of the weep hole is a leaking water pump seal.

So you got two for one.

Edited by Chuck.

I was kinda afraid it would be both....great.  I had just got the carb back from Zip Ty Racing, had them do the whole mod and service thing.  Started the bike up (which it started great, by the way) and then the coolant starts puking all over the garage floor.  I was really looking forward to test riding it today, too!  Oh well....would a leakdown test be a sure fire way to see if the head gasket is bad?  I should probably buy a test kit anyways....

I have a 03 crf 450. Same as 02. I don't ride it anymore Have a 12 yz450. But have to much n the crf to get rid of it. Had the same problem with the weep hole. Changed the seal. Didn't help. Changed both water and oil seal. Didn't help. Ended up changing shaft and bearing to. So when u get n to it. Change it all save the headache. And I'm surprised u haven't had problems with the valves yet. I ended up putting kibby white valves and springs. Never had a problem again with the valves

Edited by Jdrost72

I've got an APE head on the the one bike, with stainless steel valves.  The other bike has some aftermarket valves, but not sure what they are.  Had an 04 250X that had the valve problem....never again.  Sometimes, aftermarket IS better than OEM!

• Like 1

UPDATE:  Replaced the head gasket and the problem went away. (Rebuilt the water pump at the same time as well.)  All's good now, bike runs like a champ again!

APE does. APE will do just about anything you want (also known as Bigborethumpers)[/quote

I meant stock. Kibby white makes them