Sign in to follow this  

2009 clutch issue

Clutch is working fine but I noticed today that you have to let the clutch lever out almost all the way for the clutch to grab. Or vice Versa if rolling and coming to a rolling stop you press the lever like 1/8 of the way and the clutch is already disengaged? How do I get it adjusted correctly?

the adjustment on these bike is a free play adjustment the lever should have a little free play in it

Lever should have 1/4" free play at the end. This free play will disappear when the clutch gets hot so if the rider is abusing then an on the fly adjuster is needed otherwise short clutch life. If the clutch is inconsistent when dis/engaging your drum many need replacing.

He is coming off of a 2 stroke however he has adapted very well. He has not abused the clutch at all. It is a new bike so the basket is not worn. All of the cable adjusters are all the way in. I cannot get any free play, hot or cold. Surely this is not by design. If the clutch were worn I would see more free play, not less. The only thing I can figure is that something internal is amiss