I see recommendations for a "quieter" (for a performance pipe) exaust being the RS2. 
Wondering why that older one versus RS3 or 4. ???

Because they are quieter?

Is the FMF Q pipe in the same "catagory" or is it more quiet and less performance? 
Thanks, new to DRZ's.

I see recommendations for a "quieter" (for a performance pipe) exaust being the RS2. 

Wondering why that older one versus RS3 or 4. ???

Because they are quieter?

Is the FMF Q pipe in the same "catagory" or is it more quiet and less performance? 

Thanks, new to DRZ's.

I'm pretty sure the RS2 replaced the RS3....it's no longer available. The RS4 is the newest, and all the bikes I've seen, it comes up from the bottom and is in a totally different location. The RS2 is a good pipe and actually looks good.....the ones that are carbon fiber look the totally awesome, imo. Unless you're a total performance guy, this would be an excellent choice......for several reasons.

• Like 2

Because not everyone rides off-road?

• Like 1

The RS-4 is probably the "King Of Bling".....SSW/mrd "King of Performance".....RS-4 would indeed be an odd choice for an "off road" bike....

• Like 2

I rarely take mine off road, unless stairs and bike paths are considered off road....

The RS4 would really limit where you can take a supermoto, hence why I don't understand why anyone would buy them.

I don't find it limiting at all in normal sm operation, but each to their own.

&%$#@! are you talking about?

Nobody has explained anything that makes any sense.

I have Pro Circuit and a hotted up E motard. 
Nobody is wanting stock quiet.

Coming from the PERFORMANCE end of the equation, the "Somewhat Quieter" than MAX  while still performing decently.........I see the OLDER RS2 frequently recommended.

WHY??? 

"the RS4 sucks".  Tells me nothing...........

WHAT IS DIFFERENT.  

WHy would the Rs2 come AFTER the Rs3 and before the Rs4???? ;)

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

You're asking me???? Ask Yoshimura............hahahaha Go figure how they think!

• Like 1

&%$#@! are you talking about?

Nobody has explained anything that makes any sense.

I have Pro Circuit and a hotted up E motard. 

Nobody is wanting stock quiet.

Coming from the PERFORMANCE end of the equation, the "Somewhat Quieter" than MAX  while still performing decently.........I see the OLDER RS2 frequently recommended.

WHY??? 

"the RS4 sucks".  Tells me nothing...........

WHAT IS DIFFERENT.  

Performance is limited with a restricted pipe, to make serious power on a DRZ , you will need and open pipe....

One person view on what is "Decent Power" is going to be different from another person...pick any open pipe possibly to satisfy here,FMF Q4 would be the quietest.

The RS4 has it's obvious venerability to accident damage to the sides and bottom of pipes, performance is only average for an open pipe, no better than other Yoshi pipes....excepting the TRC Ti...

But to most it looks the part from an aesthetic point of view 

• Like 1

You're asking me???? Ask Yoshimura............hahahaha Go figure how they think!

I don't believe for a minute that the Rs3 came before the Rs2. 

• Like 1

Performance is limited with a restricted pipe, to make serious power on a DRZ , you will need and open pipe....

One person view on what is "Decent Power" is going to be different from another person...pick any open pipe possibly to satisfy here,FMF Q4 would be the quietest.

The RS4 has it's obvious venerability to accident damage to the sides and bottom of pipes, performance is only average for an open pipe, no better than other Yoshi pipes....excepting the TRC Ti...

But to most it looks the part from an aesthetic point of view 

What do you mean by "open"?  No mechanical baffling? Just packing? 

Or just a loud, "open" pipe by description?

I have a very loud, very good performing Pro Circuit. The bike rips.

But it's too loud.

I want between stock quiet (and performance) and my Pro Circuit.

My "understanding" is that the Rs2 is one of the Quieter of the "performance" pipes.

Youtube vids seem to bear that out. Nice sound and some snap while taming the open roar.

My limited experience with the Q4 it seemed not a whole lot off of stock both in sound and performance. 

A stock replacement kind of thing. Owners often don't need to rejet, so doens't  seem like it could flow much more than stock.

Edited by MindBlower

I don't believe for a minute that the Rs3 came before the Rs2. 

Look it up then so you can sleep at night.........let us know for sure

• Like 2

Look it up then so you can sleep at night.........let us know for sure

I'll get right on it. You hold your breath till I get back.  ;)

I'll get right on it. You hold your breath till I get back.   ;)

I just emailed Yoshimura and will get back to you......if I'm wrong, you will be the first to get an apology. When I talked to them a couple of years ago, they indicated that the RS2 was replacing the RS3, and it was being discontinued. Just looking at the pipes tells you that the RS2 is a more modern pipe. Whether or not the RS2 already existed and they just updated it, that I don't know, and that is what I wrote to them to find out. In any case, I'll let you know what I find out.....from Yoshimura.

The RS2 is louder than the FMF Q4, maybe 1.5x louder.

That said, they are for different purposes. While the RS2 isn't meant to be loud, the loudness is acceptable because it is a performance pipe. The FMF Q4 is meant to be a quiet pipe first, while stifling performance as little as possible.

The DRZ400SM I bought came with an RS2 on it, and while I have heard louder, it's a bit too loud for me, and I want to get an FMF Q4. I want a quieter bike.