Sign in to follow this  

Front Sprocket Blowout O.o

Short Story:

Was traveling in Mild Traffic, heard a loud pop. Bike Felt like it was in neutral. Coasted off to the side, revved in gear, no movement. oil puddled up under the bike. shut if off (hasn't seized). peered over top the front sprocket cover, front sprocket completely off and up against the cover. had no tools, walked the bike home. here's what the tear down revealed:20140510_183900.jpg

the nut and its little washer thing (referencing the oem transmission breakdown) are gone, long gone.

These are all i had left behind the cover after I pulled the sprocket off: 

20140510_191434.jpg

I don't know how worn this is, or if it could be the culprit:

20140510_191443.jpg20140510_191450.jpg

while I havea picture of it, does this seem worn?

20140510_191459.jpg

here are other pics for reference: 

20140510_191519.jpg20140510_191526.jpg

20140510_191543.jpg

Is this (as I am feeling) bad that oil came out? or with the nut off, does that loosen the seal on the drive-shaft?

basically, what seals the oil inside that broke, and can i fix it without pulling the transmission into a thousand pieces?

Long Story:

I took Suzi up the steepest hill I've ever climbed today. South of Billings is the National Hill Climbs location, and a motorcycle rec area. the entrance is quite steep, but i'd say its half the hill that the hill climbers do. As i went up, I bounced around on the throttle in the "woopty-dos" being the newb i am to hills, but we made it. after tootling around the hilly area, I decided that Suzi's gearing is not suited for the area at all (15/41), and that it wasn't worth its view up top, so i headed back. as I approached the hill (its the only way in and out), I walked to the top, planned my route, took a deep breath, pissed my self (to get it out of the way) and CRAWLED down the hill, clutch in, both brakes on, shifter foot in the hill's side bank. after 3/4 of the way down, I gave Suzi a little gas, left of the brakes, flew down to the gravel road, and turned for the highway without stopping. Suzi and I took the back roads home and found some sport-bikers who i caught off guard and chewed them up 0-60. Satisfied with that, i headed to pick my girl up from her work, we rode and had lunch, and then headed back to her work. right at the turn off to her job, I got a loud POP and suddenly, Suzi was in neutral. But the light wasn't on for neutral. I was worried, I shifted through all the gears, and then back to neutral, revving in each time. at this point, oil puddled up under her, and i looked back and it had trailed since we coasted off the main road. I shut her down and walked her into a parking spot. see above for what i saw. I then kissed my girlfriend goodbye, and walked Suzi home 2 miles. Two embarrassingly long miles. It's just one thing after another. This is the THIRD time Suzi has made me walk her home...honestly, I can't think of anything but the suspension that I haven't mended/replaced (and yes, I've done some framework).

20140510_191455.jpg

Also I found this behind the cover, it was all twisted up and looks like it used to be round and banded to itself :

20140510_203100.jpg

To me, because of its U shape profile, it looks like the shell of (or inner ring of ) a bearing or seal.

20140510_202912.jpg

this is the shape i found it in. kind of funny to me how twisted it is: 

20140510_174006.jpg

anyways, if anyone can identify this, i would greatly appreciate it. I can't find it in the OEM diagrams.

You need a nut and a lock washer, some Loctite and you are back in business.  Read FAQ about loose countershaft nuts and what to do about it.

Yes it is normal to loose oil when the nut comes all the way off. There was no reason to remove the seal retainer.  Put that back on.

Check your band clamps around the carb boots and air cleaner.  Might be missing one.

Looks like the nut unscrewed, was the FOLDED lock washer on it?

But the failure was via the nut , the metal sleeve looks fine as far as wear but yeah you can just replace the seal and get a new nut and lock washer, and a new metal sleeve if you want, nothing major to take apart, just pop that seal out and reinstall new.

Damn,  that sucks, you've been having a lot of issues with your bike lately it seems,   are you able to get this fixed?

You need a nut and a lock washer, some Loctite and you are back in business.  Read FAQ about loose countershaft nuts and what to do about it.

Yes it is normal to loose oil when the nut comes all the way off. There was no reason to remove the seal retainer.  Put that back on.

I removed it to make sure everything behind it was okay. I went until i couldn't pull anything else off, basically to calm myself that the inside was fine and i wouldn't be going through the mess i was in when the crank seized...kind of a knee jerk reaction. anyways, the bottom screw was so rusted/locked in i had to drill it out...so I have covered the seal, and will be ordering replacement screws. i tested the bottom screw hole with the top screw, its unharmed. Thank you for the advice. Noble, I swear, you have quite literally responded to every single problem i have posted here, with good detailed info, without fail...... can i get a bumper sticker made that says "Noble helped me fix it!" ? you have been fantastic. I don't know what to say.

Spud,786, thanks for the info and confirmation. it is ALWAYS comforting to hear the same answer from multiple sources. puts fears to rest. Thank you.

the nut and washer were gone by the time i got the cover off. i believe they shot out when i heard the pop.

the band clamp on the air box to carb is indeed gone, but weirdly, has been gone for a while as I have replaced it with a zip tie. the band clamp must have been lurking down by the sprocket and chose today to rip the nut off. I put it up to the airbox, and that twisted piece of metal is indeed that size. *whew* GLAD its not a part of a seal or bearing. thank you for the tip off Noble. I don't know how you do it. Honestly, my hat's off to you, and I try to give  as helpful advice to others as you do to me when i have the knowledge and experience for it.

• Like 1

There is no reason to suspect you need a seal.  The seal is not damaged by the nut coming off. The oil loss is due to the spacer (seal collar) moving out of the seal with nothing to retain it in place.  Put it all back in place, it will be fine.

There is no reason to suspect you need a seal.  The seal is not damaged by the nut coming off. The oil loss is due to the spacer (seal collar) moving out of the seal with nothing to retain it in place.  Put it all back in place, it will be fine.

Will do, and again  Thank you. Parts on order from TT store as we speak.

Make sure to get to get the big folding lock washer that goes over the nut.

Also I found this behind the cover, it was all twisted up and looks like it used to be round and banded to itself :

attachicon.gif20140510_203100.jpg

To me, because of its U shape profile, it looks like the shell of (or inner ring of ) a bearing or seal.

attachicon.gif20140510_202912.jpg

this is the shape i found it in. kind of funny to me how twisted it is: 

attachicon.gif20140510_174006.jpg

anyways, if anyone can identify this, i would greatly appreciate it. I can't find it in the OEM diagrams.

thos pics look like the airbox to carb clamps

you should have 3 on the bike..so go check

Edited by 707LAKE

this is a great pictorial about why the loctite fixes matter. 

glad you're safe n sound, enjoy the bike again once it's buttoned up :)

yes, it turns out that twisted strip of metal was indeed the airbox to carb clamp, which oddly enough came off almost a year ago. the other two are in place, and the one that went missing was replaced with a zip tie after hitting a deer last summer. THank you all for your help. replacement parts on their way. I noticed both of my chain rollers are gone, so I ordered new ones of those, as well as the JD jet kit. Even though I want to eventually go up to the FCR Carb, I can't stand this mikuni jetted at sea level, so I will be doing the 3x3 mod finally on this bike. prepare for my inevitable impending jetting thread lol..... I'll do all i can with jetting before I make my own thread, found tons of good info between the 3x3 master post and others threads. we'll see how she goes.

I am not trying to get on your case but you had a missing carb boot clamp, missing chain rollers, and a loose counter shaft nut. Why not spend a couple hours going over your bike with an eye towards looking for issues and "deferred maintenance" that could stop your next ride or cause more damage?

The TT FAQ's are invaluable and if read thoroughly will turn a newbie almost into an instant expert on the DRZ.

Just sayin'........

• Like 1

I am not trying to get on your case but you had a missing carb boot clamp, missing chain rollers, and a loose counter shaft nut. Why not spend a couple hours going over your bike with an eye towards looking for issues and "deferred maintenance" that could stop your next ride or cause more damage?

The TT FAQ's are invaluable and if read thoroughly will turn a newbie almost into an instant expert on the DRZ.

Just sayin'........

last night I printed that all out. and I have done a look over. I didn't know my bike was supposed to HAVE rollers till i saw it in the frame diagram. which, yes, is kinda ignorant. it is my first bike. and after its been completely rebuilt after the Deer and I made contact, At that point, everything was put on by the loctite rules. It's just the leftover from the previous owner im dealing with: it never had chain rollers when i got it. never knew there was such a thing. It was never re-jetted, and this being my first carburetor engine, I didn't think that it was that big of deal until i rode it up a 10,000 ft pass. The battery got me multiple times. I followed instructions on here about the stator replacement, free power mod, loctiting and case covering (case savers are on), When I was at basic training in January after i bought it, my father went through and did the common loctite fixes (way back before the deer accident thing).  These little things I'm running into such as chain rollers and what not...are just things I had no clue were supposed to be there from the get go. As i said in the long story version, there's really only two things I haven't touched on this bike: the suspension front and back, and the stock Speedo. here, look. 

IMG_20110908_123649.jpg

the day i bought her, tore her apart and looked her over. tightened some things, loctited a few, little did i know just how much She was hurting and missing. Everything seemed functional and working from my stand point. the chain slack was good, but no rollers of which i didn't know there should be. she started up no problem, without choke. I did see a lot of misc. holes, but never knew what they were for, and since she was running great, didn't bother messing with it. "if it aint broke don't fix it". then the engine seized 300 miles from home. since the engine was going into surgery, i had the tech install a ricky stator while he was in there.

2011-09-29_11-14-06_616.jpg2011-09-29_11-14-26_425.jpg2011-09-29_11-15-30_561.jpg

after this I DID go through her quite a lot, and she ran great, apart from the tiny capacity of the battery. took her on many trips, but when we got home, there were always little hiccups: she ran hot, she ran cold, she guzzled gas, etc...

most of those things I have not had the money to handle them the way i wanted to (which would be FCR kit and jetting) so i was trying to wait on them and deal with them when i could do my final setup. Then a Deer came and hugged me,

20130706_135838.jpg

THis bike? i don't expect to sell her. I paid $1,500 for her, I've put maybe $3,500 on her, and now look at her. Brand new Refurbished engine, and nearly everything else except suspension is brand new.

20130729_103842.jpg

She now has a bigger battery, and after this failure is fixed, she'll also be acclimated to my altitudes. some things I've done a hack job on her, and for that, I wouldn't want to sell her to someone to have to deal with what I've done to her (retapping some bolt holes to larger sizes that the previous owner stripped out, such as seat, battery hold down, etc.) because that would just be selling a headache. I love her, and after this, well, maybe the rear shock will blow out, and at that point well....

I'll have a 2012-2014 DRZ 400s on a 2004 frame.

some things you can't find with just a look over. and my garage is very limited. neither me nor my dad own very much else other than hand tools and an air compressor. 

and why didn't i loctite the front sprocket before this? because it wasn't broken, so I didn't fix it. Now i know better.

Also the missing carb boot clamp Was replaced with a rather large, industrial zip tie right after the deer strike, which is when it came off.. the bike has never been run without that clamped down. I never found nor saw where that clamp fell to, and i looked it over. I swear, wherever it was hiding,must have been buried somewhere maybe in the wiring, because where i found it and when it when missing just do not line up.

Well not knowing your back story, it does sound like you are doing the best you could have done. Keep up your great attitude and you should sort out any lingering issues and continue to have fun with this great bike. Ride safe!

*foot shoved severly in mouth* went out, having nothing to do, and looked her over again. undernearth a layer of grime.....I actually found that both rollers are there, just not where I thought they would be (and its hard to find pictures of them mounted).

20140511_163837.jpg20140511_163923.jpg

so....now i have a new question.

WHAT THE HELL GOES HERE THAT I AM MISSING NOW?!  :banghead:  :facepalm:

20140511_163941.jpg

i apologize for the picture rotation.

Side stand interlock switch.  Commonly removed and the wires jumped so it will not die when the side stand bounces going over bumps.  Down side is you can now ride away with the side stand down possibly resulting in a crash.

Side stand interlock switch.  Commonly removed and the wires jumped so it will not die when the side stand bounces going over bumps.  Down side is you can now ride away with the side stand down possibly resulting in a crash.

Thank you. I will not be worrying about putting that back on.....