2014 Sherco X-Ride 290?

Hey, is anybody out there in TT land owning/riding the Sherco X-ride? I'm seriously considering one and know almost nothing about them....but even at that I STILL know more than the local dealer.

I'd love to get some feedback on:

First thru fifth gear spacing, how it works in the real world of single/dopuble track and what is a top cruising speed for fireroad travel?

Range...very important where I ride

Can a bigger countershaft sprocket be installed, even 1 tooth larger would be helpful

Maintenance?? Parts availabilty/cost?

Reliability?

FUNability?

Dell'orto carb OK?

Anything else?

I'd dearly appreciate having more info before smacking down $8,500 to drive away a dirt bike

Thanks to any who respond!

Angie

I run across a couple guys who ride scorpa t-rides. They are 280s i think . Look similar to the x-ride. They swear by them. If you are a person to put faith in what the magazines say, i read the x-ride does everything good, but not great , lol. Why not go $1000 more and het a 350 or 500exc? Those damned things are nothing short of fantastic !

I dont know where you are located at , but ktm-parts.com (appalachian offroad motorcycles) from crosslanes wv has the sherco x ride listed for $7999. they are very good to deal with.

bump. if anyone is still looking at the sherco x-ride here are my impressions.  i'd been itching to try the sherco x-ride and finally got the chance on a trip to canada. i found the frame and suspension is about a 50/50 mix of enduro and trials, and the engine and gearbox are pretty much pure trials. 

this could be a good or bad thing depending on your riding. if you mainly do slow technical riding then the trials engine and spread of gear ratios will be good. but if you do a fair amount of open trails then those big jumps to fourth and fifth gear will be awkward, and the trials engine could feel too soft and unresponsive. 

if you are looking for a hybrid bike that is around 70% trials and 30% enduro then this could be the perfect bike. otherwise you might be better off looking at the beta xtrainer or ktm freeride 250r.

• Like 1

On the X-ride, doesn't the exhaust exit down low by the shock / mudflap ?

Pretty sure I remember seeing a review where it was mentioned the bike wasn't well designed for water crossings,

say the exhaust can easily fill with water if you stall and,

because of fitment / design issues of the airbox, some debris had made it past the element.

I've had my x-ride for 4 years now. and tell you what , if you want a trials bike with a seat , this thing is it. its softly suspended, I'm 150 and 5-7. low geared in the bottom 3 gears , trials.  4 and 5 are spaced up higher. this thing is not fast, and not made to rip fire roads. it will bounce you off.but  its unstoppable. if you stall it , you goofed up badly. but for nasty single track, make your own trail ,go anywhere, it is a blast. I added a spark arrester - added a little more skid plate protection - hand guards - tubeless tube set up - with Michelin trials tires - took off all the turn signal  stuff . there was a problem with the rear tire throwing water and goo past the muffler into the air box area. what I did was, picked up a sheet of 1/8 inch thick silicone rubber sheet and made a splash guard that lays on top of the muffler and is secured to the frame  from side to side with zip ties. it totally keeps the air box area dry now. I ride a lot of deep creek bottom wet stuff and have zero issues with water. the bike is stone reliable. and I ride it hard. the only repairs I have done is the radiator fan died.  ive done nothing with the way it came jetted. also, it is not noisy, nice and quite. about 60 miles to a tank of fuel.  I also have a beta 300 x trainer , another awesome single track bike , it will rip , up to a point. if I wanna really blast I take my k t m 400 exc. another way great bike. when I take the sherco out ,I call it going for a walk in the woods.

• Like 2

I've had my x-ride for 4 years now. and tell you what , if you want a trials bike with a seat , this thing is it. its softly suspended, I'm 150 and 5-7. low geared in the bottom 3 gears , trials.  4 and 5 are spaced up higher. this thing is not fast, and not made to rip fire roads. it will bounce you off.but  its unstoppable. if you stall it , you goofed up badly. but for nasty single track, make your own trail ,go anywhere, it is a blast. I added a spark arrester - added a little more skid plate protection - hand guards - tubeless tube set up - with Michelin trials tires - took off all the turn signal  stuff . there was a problem with the rear tire throwing water and goo past the muffler into the air box area. what I did was, picked up a sheet of 1/8 inch thick silicone rubber sheet and made a splash guard that lays on top of the muffler and is secured to the frame  from side to side with zip ties. it totally keeps the air box area dry now. I ride a lot of deep creek bottom wet stuff and have zero issues with water. the bike is stone reliable. and I ride it hard. the only repairs I have done is the radiator fan died.  ive done nothing with the way it came jetted. also, it is not noisy, nice and quite. about 60 miles to a tank of fuel.  I also have a beta 300 x trainer , another awesome single track bike , it will rip , up to a point. if I wanna really blast I take my k t m 400 exc. another way great bike. when I take the sherco out ,I call it going for a walk in the woods.

Have you ever road your xride with guys on trials bikes? Is it capable of doing most of what a trials bike can do?

yes I have been out with trials bikes.--- most of, is a good way to put it. the x ride is about 200 lbs.so it is heavier than a trials bike. little different steering geometry. way more stable at a bit of speed. but its got a pretty comfy seating position. three times the fuel range. I rode trials starting in 1967. yikes ! all on bultacos . after they faded out. a whole assortment of trials bikes. I quit riding trials about 10 years ago. got bored with it.couple of the great things about the older trials bikes . they had seats, about a 60 mile fuel range. they were the best thing going for exploring out in the boonies. so the x ride is kind alike an older trials bike. but way more updated, brakes, suspension , reliability, clean running, i live in a rural area north of Lake Tahoe. and ride by myself a lot. the x ride forces me to keep my speed way down. I can entertain myself for half the day, and I haven't gone over 20 miles a hour and stayed within a couple miles of home. up and down creek beds, rock faces, logs, just one big long section.    get one 

• Like 1

yes I have been out with trials bikes.--- most of, is a good way to put it. the x ride is about 200 lbs.so it is heavier than a trials bike. little different steering geometry. way more stable at a bit of speed. but its got a pretty comfy seating position. three times the fuel range. I rode trials starting in 1967. yikes ! all on bultacos . after they faded out. a whole assortment of trials bikes. I quit riding trials about 10 years ago. got bored with it.couple of the great things about the older trials bikes . they had seats, about a 60 mile fuel range. they were the best thing going for exploring out in the boonies. so the x ride is kind alike an older trials bike. but way more updated, brakes, suspension , reliability, clean running, i live in a rural area north of Lake Tahoe. and ride by myself a lot. the x ride forces me to keep my speed way down. I can entertain myself for half the day, and I haven't gone over 20 miles a hour and stayed within a couple miles of home. up and down creek beds, rock faces, logs, just one big long section.    get one 

I’ve been looking for a trials bike for a while and a xride came up on cl for only $2400. Ad said “fair condition”. Are replacement parts hard to find?

no problem getting parts.  Ryan young trials

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 0:45 AM, savy said:

no problem getting parts.  Ryan young trials

He does Trials only, X-ride is endure.

He does Trials only, X-ride is endure.
But it has the trials engine in it. Clay at Sherco USA can certainly steer you where you need to be.