Sign in to follow this  

04 cr250 practicing starts

Basically all stock 04 cr250. I was practicing starts and was pleasantly surprised to see it was pulling 3rd gear fairly easily. Im a little over 200lbs. When i race this bike ill be in the 250 class. I really want to get the holeshot. Ive never had the holeshot going away in the clear and would love it. Races are alot easier if your not jammed up in the first turn wrecks or being taken out.

So anyway whats the opinions with the crs? 2Nd or 3rd gear? Im thinking 3rd might be a good advantage, just full throttle and enough slipping to get it out of the hole without bogging. My technique is pretty good always follow what gary semics videos say to do.

I'm not a great starter but I'm getting better. I start in 2nd. I've tried 3rd when practicing and need to slip the clutch too much. I race the vet class mostly against 450s and I am usually close to the front at the first turn. If I'm not sleeping on the line.Just make sure your not shifting too soon. Let the engine rev out.

2.nd only 3'rd is out of the question unless you are on a CR500

YZrider133 - Got your PM regarding the PC mods on my 03 motor & starts.  Thanks for your request.

The mods will give you an advantage at the line & can pull holeshots if reaction & traction is good.  Not sure where in CA you are, but let me know if your in the Bay Area & we can put in a ride at a local track.  You can ride the 03 & get an idea of the PC mods if you thinking of going this route with your 04 model.  Don't think you'll be disappointed as it pulls very hard off idle into an impressive topend / overrev.    As mentioned a stock 250 2t motor works good with 2nd gear starts...     

Edit - Just realized your not in CA was thinking of a different member in CA with an 04 model.        

Edited by H4L

Thanks for the offer h4l everything moto related is always in cali i really need to move out there!