Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Rebuild

So I have been noticing for a while that my clutch has been acting up little by little and today while riding some trails with a friend the clutch completely burned out. (Not necessarily surprised because I have been abusing the shit out of the clutch climbing hills.) For example I could be on ground that is just barely uphill and the bike couldn't climb in first gear. I've been reading a bit about possibly switching to a CBR250R clutch but I have a few questions about that. First off, my bike is still under warranty, is the clutch covered under warranty? Would it be best to just go with the OEM '14 CBR250R clutch or is there a company who makes an aftermarket clutch for the CBR that would fit the CRFL as well? I noticed you can buy OEM clutch kits from honda for the CRFL for about 100$ does anyone know if there is one the CBR? Is it recommended to have a shop do the clutch replacement; if possible I'd like to do it myself just so I know how for the future. When buying the CBR clutch parts do I just need to get the disks and the springs for it to work in the CRFL? When replacing the clutch are there any bearings or seals that need to be replaced with a new clutch?

Edited by captaincanuck

Check your cable adjustment, highly unlikely you have destroyed a wet clutch on the 250. I don't think any parts from the Off road CR will work on the L, so out of luck there.

When I need a new one ... I want to try out this one ....  :thinking:

I would like to get rid of the judder spring.

http://goo.gl/R6Jzlu

02-01-0074a.jpg

Takegawa slipper clutch system for Honda CBR250R CRF250L and CRF250M for roadrace and motard use. Simple and effective, this drop in ramp style system relieves 50% of engine back torque for smoother downshifts, reduced wear on tranmission components and increased reliability.

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

Check your cable adjustment, highly unlikely you have destroyed a wet clutch on the 250. I don't think any parts from the Off road CR will work on the L, so out of luck there.

What happened is basically it started off like I was losing a lot of power when going uphill and even shifting down didnt fix it then when i was dirt biking and started to head back to my car my bike could even climb up barely steep terrain and i ended up having to walk it out of a trail.

There is a guy on ebay selling stiffer clutch springs for the crf250l.

I'll have to check that out, do stiffer springs make it so the plates make better contact with eachother?

02-01-0074a.jpg

Takegawa slipper clutch system for Honda CBR250R CRF250L and CRF250M for roadrace and motard use. Simple and effective, this drop in ramp style system relieves 50% of engine back torque for smoother downshifts, reduced wear on tranmission components and increased reliability.

Oh man I want to get this when I do a sumo conversion. Would this clutch be any good for hard offroad riding?

What happened is basically it started off like I was losing a lot of power when going uphill and even shifting down didnt fix it then when i was dirt biking and started to head back to my car my bike could even climb up barely steep terrain and i ended up having to walk it out of a trail.

I'll have to check that out, do stiffer springs make it so the plates make better contact with eachother?

Oh man I want to get this when I do a sumo conversion. Would this clutch be any good for hard offroad riding?

Did the motor rev up when you lost the power? ...That would be a clutch problem, however if the motor bogged down " lost power" you have a different problem. Possibly If you are wearing ridding boots, you may be standing on the rear brake and not be aware of it.

Did the motor rev up when you lost the power? ...That would be a clutch problem, however if the motor bogged down " lost power" you have a different problem. Possibly If you are wearing ridding boots, you may be standing on the rear brake and not be aware of it.

yeah the bikes still revs up just fine.

Maybe you misunderstood my question. When a clutch fails there is only two modes that I can think of. One is here it does not disengage and the can not idle. The other is when it breaks loose or slips under a heavy load. So when climbing the hill did the motor rev up indicating slippage or did it simply bog down and not gain RPM? I understand that with the clutch pulled in the motor runs fine... Am I making any sense....

Maybe you misunderstood my question. When a clutch fails there is only two modes that I can think of. One is here it does not disengage and the can not idle. The other is when it breaks loose or slips under a heavy load. So when climbing the hill did the motor rev up indicating slippage or did it simply bog down and not gain RPM? I understand that with the clutch pulled in the motor runs fine... Am I making any sense....

It revved up

02-01-0074a.jpg

I don't have an issue with down shifting but if this clutch also acts like a rekluse clutch I could be interested.

I don't have an issue with down shifting but if this clutch also acts like a rekluse clutch I could be interested.

I have tried to read up some on slipper clutches and what they do. I think it will kind of act like the rekluse but, you still need to pull in the clutch when you stop and take off. 

The rekluse makes the bike almost like the little auto clutch 50cc pitbikes. 

So while it is not a full on auto clutch I think it still would have some of the benefits ... not sure 100% tho ...  :excuseme:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

I have tried to read up some on slipper clutches and what they do. I think it will kind of act like the rekluse but, you still need to pull in the clutch when you stop and take off.

The rekluse makes the bike almost like the little auto clutch 50cc pitbikes.

So while it is not a full on auto clutch I think it still would have some of the benefits ... not sure 100% tho ... :excuseme:

Sounds cool :D

Yes from what I gather the rekluse basically is an autoclutch like on a 4 wheeler, but with the benefit of still having a clutch lever.

The slipper clutch would only act on deceleration, most of the time it would just be like a normal clutch, untill you downshifted without rev matching, then it would limit the back torque and stop the rear wheel from skidding.  Slipper clutches basically come from sport bikes, to keep the noobs from downshifting to hard comming into a corner and skidding the rear tire out and wrecking.  It basically makes the bike more noob friendly.

• Like 3

wait, i am not supposed to lock up the rear wheel when down shifting??? lol  i thought that is what made it exciting and fun!!! nothing like down shifting into 3rd while doing 70mph!!! it will give you a moose knuckle so fast and so tight!!!!

• Like 3

HAHAHA!!!  I gues gnath just dosnt like moose knuckles?  Maybe he just dosnt get the same excitement from skidding the rear wheel into a stoplight haha.

• Like 2

i just love the ROOOOOOAAAAARRRR of the shinkos when locked up... i keep saying it and saying it... my friends think i'm nuts when i come skidding down the road into their driveways...  i like to make my presence known!!! hahahaha  plus, i like controlling the skid and seeing what i can do..  one day it will bite me in the ass, but i cant help it... hahaha

one day i seen a dude on a crotch rocket on the side of the road...  i had the rear locked up from utility pole to utility pole (your welcome linemen! they hate when they are called telephone poles... lol) and skidded right around him and nestled myself into a perfect little spot in front of him... he was shocked and said he thought i was gonna eat it...  i laughed and said it was all part of the plan... no worries... asked if he needed a hand... he said nope, he made a call and a friend was on the way...  gave him a nod, and went back out on my merry way...  was such a ace ventura car parking moment...    "like a glove!!!!"

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 7

HAHA EYE thats freakin hilarious!  And I thought you were kidding about lockin the rear wheel up everywhere!  I cant believe you got so many miles on the stock rear tire like that!

• Like 2

i am still in disbelief about how long that thing lasted... i could have squeezed another 200 miles out of her for sure too...  the shinko is not going to last as long... hahahaha 

i will admit...  its not from down shifting... that has happened in some "coming in hot" moments, but, very slight and before the turn...  but me and the back brake, i guess i just think i am on dirt still...  hahahaha  

i will also admit, i give her hell for a little 250, which i know a lot of us do, but she has proved almost flawless to me... i ride her hard and she responds well... i ride her slow and lazy, and she is right at home there also...  but when you are truly riding her, all hands, feet, and head in the game and riding the snot out of her, everything is all synced, that's when my back brake comes to life... lol....

i wish i could find this youtube video of these 2 crazy dudes riding their SM bikes down some overseas country... they showed me you can do pretty insane stuff... how they used their back brakes was crazy...  it was drifting, but a stupid crazy road, cliffs edge, one lane each way, knocking on deaths door kind of stuff...  they could have harmed a lot of people and i don't condone what they did, but man, i was in awe for 10 minutes watching it... 

so i can stay on topic, i never had a rekluse'd bike... but i can see where that would be a great feature...  i wonder if its as like an auto quad i had? of if its like an automatic tranny in a car... shifting wise i mean... i know you have to still shift, but the feel of the bike when it shifts....

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 2

HAHAHA!!!  I gues gnath just dosnt like moose knuckles?  Maybe he just dosnt get the same excitement from skidding the rear wheel into a stoplight haha.

I really do not mind it so much but, it does seem to slow me down too much leading into the corners ... I just need to learn better throttle control and get a better grasp of rolling it rather than backing off it too quickly or completely. 

It goes back to the 2 stroke days I guess ... I was used to coasting into the corners and on this bike letting of the throttle is like hitting the brakes. 

My new XCMH sure does lock up easy on the pavement ....  :shocked:

• Like 2

Before you give up on the clutch, make sure your free play is spec. I thought I was having clutch issues but my lever just wasn't returning out all the way after a minor dirt nap. A little judicious bend and it was business as usual.

My wife did her first real off road riding this weekend at the Berkshire Big Adventure on the crf and fell in love!

Her only minor complaint was about the heavy engine braking so maybe a slipper setup in the future.

I just told her it was a good learning tool so she could learn how to properly blip it on the downshift;)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400598428.633225.jpg

Some must watch while others must sleep

• Like 1