Sign in to follow this  

Xr250 is it legal

Hi

I bought and xr250 last year off eBay. I had it checked out online before I bid on it. All came back ok. It had valid mot, all the correct paper work from the dvla. So I asdume its not nicked. The only thing is the frane has been powder coated and the frame number on the headstock is not visible. Not sure if its been removed ir just not visible under the paint,

Any ideas, don't really want to rekove the paint to check unless I have no choice.

U should be able to see it thru the powder coating they probly either ground it off or its been filled in somehow. Powder coating isnt so thick that you wouldnt see it at all. The only way I know of to check is take the powder coating off in that spot and see if its there. Probly not what u want. U might be able to find the number by using the engine number at the vehicle department where u are. Ask if they cN LOOK UP THE ENGINE NUMBER AND GIVE U THE VIN ASSOCIATED WITH THAT NUMBER. Hope it helps buddy.

Typically thieves use spray cans to paint stolen motorcycles. I don't know why thy think a flat black motorcycle isn't obvious. I would avoid motorcycles that are not stripped down and parts are painted individually. A friend had a Suzuki 750 that was stolen and recovered. It was only available in pearl white. It was stolen and rattle can painted black and the paint looked like crap.

Powder coating is about the most expensive painting process.

In California, the title has the serial number of the engine and the VIN on the frame. It would be unusual if both were not visible.