Sign in to follow this  

Looking for 78 XL350 piston/rings?

Hey guys starting an xl350 resto that is locked up from sitting for years. Looks like going to need bore job and oversize top end. Evil-bay (Ebay) only had some stock bore sizes. As always thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge....

Give Dave a buzz at XLint performance. He has some differnt sizes. I typically use the 412cc kit (86mm) as great power increase and still bores in stock cylinder. For my racers I am making a new 90mm for 450cc But this requires a buttload of extra machining.

Be sure to check cam/head journals as these are the weak link on these. Dirty oil (or lack of it) will cause cam to wear and head journals get wiped out also. Only proper way to fix that is with a needle bearing conversion and that is not cheap!!!!!!!

Give Dave a buzz at XLint performance. He has some differnt sizes. I typically use the 412cc kit (86mm) as great power increase and still bores in stock cylinder. For my racers I am making a new 90mm for 450cc But this requires a buttload of extra machining.

Be sure to check cam/head journals as these are the weak link on these. Dirty oil (or lack of it) will cause cam to wear and head journals get wiped out also. Only proper way to fix that is with a needle bearing conversion and that is not cheap!!!!!!!

Thanks teamrude: What suspension swaps can be done? I have some mid 80's xr's and cr suspension parts just laying around LOL. Is going to be used as back and forth to work and around town commuter. 

Sky is the limit. Have one (77 model) using Mid 80's RM250 forks and aluminum swingarm from RM125 I modified.  Swingarm is biggest hassle due to twin shock. Most any decent twin shock aluminum swingarm could be made to work. Make your own pivot bushings and fit to chassis. Forks are fairly easy as most bikes use similar steering head. 

Centerport chassis is so much better than sideport as far as ergo's and narrower.

Cool. Thanks again. I have a KDX400 aluminum swingarm that I will see how close it comes to fitting the xl frame. Hopefully the 85 cr125 fork and wheel assembly will work. Guess I may have to cut and fab the steering stem. I will use the stock rear wheel as it will be used for street more than anything.