Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike trailer suspension.

Hey guys. I recently got my hands on a trailer to haul around my bikes. Its about 4 ft by 7 ft and I plan on carrying 2 full size bikes on the norm and sometimes carry my kx80 along with that. The question i have is how much play in the suspension should the trailer have? It has 24 inch leafs above a single axle. When I stand on the trailer and bounce they do not seem to move. Ill be hauling about 600 lbs of bikes around so maybe that weight will be smooth on the road. Any tips?

Best advice that I can give you: Tie the bikes down, front and rear!

Oh, and you can always remove a leaf if the trailer bounces too much, but I doubt it will.

Most (not all) single axle trailers I've dealt with were rated for 3500lbs which means that if all you are ever going to have on it is 600lbs, the suspension won't move much. On a flat bed trailer that just means that it might bounce more going over bumps, but it's unlikely that anything will ever be harmed because of it. A box trailer that is overly stiff will put undo stress on the wall/ contents which can take it's toll overtime (anyone who has towed a travel trailer through the forest/ desert and found broken cabinets when they arrived already knows I'm talking about!) If it really bothers you, you can buy trailer springs with lighter load capacities pretty cheap at places like etrailer. com but realize that if the suspension can move that easily, you are going to need shocks, and it may even be prone to sway/ body roll that it wouldn't have with stiffer springs.

Just tie the bikes down good.