Sign in to follow this  

Pop on Decel

We have just installed a Vortex ignition on our 2010.  It runs great but  and has some popping on decel.  We have tried several different map setting but it still pops.  It's worse on some maps than others.  This is a mod motor with Carillo long rod and CP high compression piston running U4.4 fuel.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Sounds like it is lean, or you have an exhaust leak. Ported head? What camshaft?

Edited by Eddie8v

Sounds like it is lean, or you have an exhaust leak. Ported head? What camshaft?

Yes, ported head.  It does have an aftermarket cam but I don't know what it is.  The first owner did all the mods and isn't very knowledgeable about what mods were done.  I have not had the head off but the intake has been cleaned up.  Thanks Eddie.

Most likely an air leak into the system, check for cracks on the intake boot. Also make sure your exhaust washer gasket is good.

Most likely an air leak into the system, check for cracks on the intake boot. Also make sure your exhaust washer gasket is good.

Didn't know an intake leak could cause a pop.  Thanks

The basics first.

1. Exhaust gasket where the pipe meets the head - replace

2. Check for intake air leaks

3. Adjust the fuel screw out - richer 

Add some gas to the 0-10% throttle, I'm not sure how this works on the efi dirtbikes, but I've done this with power commanders on street bikes after adding after market exhaust they get some wicked decel popping without any fuel map tuning, also it doesn't hurt anything, it's just a sign that your tune is very close to perfect a/f mixture, so you may want it a little richer just to be on the safe side.