Sign in to follow this  

School me in handle bars

Hey guys,

so my stock handle bars are a little rough from the previous owner so before I start buying grips, and hand guards, I figure I would start with new bars. so what's the difference between 7/8" and 1 1/8" ? I know the 1 1/8" is thicker but besides that, is there a benefit to a fat bar? I see in the store that Pro Taper is popular so I'm guessing it's a good choice. what's your opinions on bends?

I'm leaning towards the Pro Taper 1 1/8" but I know nothing about bars so hopefully you guys can shine some light.

Edited by LG416

1 1/8 bars do not use a cross bar where as  7/8 bars generally do. That allows the 1 1/8 bar to absorb more vibration but is still strong enough to resist bending in a crash.  At least that is the theory.  If you do not originally have 1 1/8 bars, adapters will be required to fit the larger diameter bar.  Bars plus adapters you are well over $100 for handle bars. Add in grips and hand guards you are probably looking at $250.  My choice in Pro Taper fat bars is Woods High.

• Like 1

Like stated above ^^^. Pro Tapers are excellent bars. Yes you will have to get the updated clamps to fit said bars but there is also Sweep, height, Rise and Width. This is your preference, if you like bars that are low and sweep back or taller and and straighter (I like the tall/straightest bars)

Here are a few things for you to check/look at ;)

http://www.motosport.com/blog/motocross-handlebar-guide

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-handlebars

Hope this helps ;)

• Like 1

If you install 1 1/8" bars with the adapter you may also need to move the ignition switch mount. The spacing of the bolts on the adapter is slightly different than the spacing of the holes on the ignition mounting plate. Search on here for lots of mounting ideas.

If you install 1 1/8" bars with the adapter you may also need to move the ignition switch mount. The spacing of the bolts on the adapter is slightly different than the spacing of the holes on the ignition mounting plate. Search on here for lots of mounting ideas.

+1, just move it to the right side of the upper triple clamp. You'll need to bend it just a bit.

I bought atv high bars for my s model which are about twice as high as stock bars and increase overall comfort quite a bit. I think they are Renthal brand with a black finish. They were $50 I think.

• Like 1

+1, just move it to the right side of the upper triple clamp. You'll need to bend it just a bit.

This is what I did with mine. It's not pretty, but it was quick & easy. There is a stack of washers under the mounting plate to give it something to rest on.

IMG_0428.JPG

I went with 1 1/8 bars and I really like them. The adapters gave me some rise, and coupled with my Pro Taper Carmichael bars, my wrists are at a comfortable angle. Additionally, standing is now comfortable, which makes riding rough terrain much nicer.

I re-mounted my ignition on the right side of the front number plate. Out of the way, but easy to access.

East Seattle-20140512-00063.jpg

• Like 1

I just upgraded to fat bars on me DRZ ,  love it.   you will need 7/8 to 1 1/8 clamps and i just relocated me ignition to the left a bit.

cockpit.jpg

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 2