Sign in to follow this  

To Slime or not to slime?

I use it, with no down sides as far as I can tell. I'm in cactus country, slime is in my KTM's tubes, as well as my mountain bike's.

• Like 1

I put it my front stock tube and rear Tubliss. It makes the Tubliss install easier and is recommended by Nuetech. So far no issues and it helps the balance on the road.

Slime is useful for punctures, but won't help with snake bikes (pinch flats) or cuts. If you ride in terrain where thorns or nails are prevalent, use it. 

Used slime for years out in the desert with good results. Like mentioned earlier, slime does nothing for pinch flats though. Had a bottle in a rear tire and a pinch flat. Changed tube out on the trail and what a mess. Slime everywhere, dirt sticking all over everything including hands and new tube and rim. Stopped using slime right then and went with Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes front and rear and 2 more psi than normal. No flats on two bikes in desert past 3 years. Swear by ultra HD tubes now. Pita to install, but well worth it IMO. On the flip side, won't ride a mt bike in the desert without slime still.

I'm with oldfuddy. The mess just isn't worth it for me, but I don't ride in the desert. 99% of our flats are pinched.

It works with small leaks.  I've used it with success on a couple of riding lawn mowers and my kids dirt bikes.  I don't know if I would use it on anything that goes highway speed if balance was an issue, but it definitely plugs small puncture leaks. 

Ive not ran slime in tubes at any significant speed, but have ran it in tubeless tires 8oz at 90 mph is no issue on the rear, once you get around 110 mph, you can begin to feel it in a negative way.

Unfortunately even in tubless it doesn't work that well, usually just end up with green slime under the fender. Centrifical force is very powerful on liquids>G

Just started using it to try it for myself. Only down side so far is it can plug the valve stem when you are trying to check tire pressure. Just hit it quickly with the pump to clear it and then was able to properly check the air pressure and set it.

Just started using it to try it for myself. Only down side so far is it can plug the valve stem when you are trying to check tire pressure. Just hit it quickly with the pump to clear it and then was able to properly check the air pressure and set it.

If you're running slime, be sure the valve stem is at 12 o'clock before you check your pressure and do the same when adding air to keep the valve clear.

Any time used it, it screwed up the valve cores.

Yes, that's the draw back on tubes, in trying to keep the valve cores from getting clogged, to where they will no longer accept air.